How Literary Characters Would Spend Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

Who wants to spend winter break sledding, decorating gingerbread houses, and drinking gallons of hot chocolate? The answer? No one. Society’s pitiful Christmas tree decorating tradition is put to shame by the eerie, disturbing, and downright depressing traditions of classic literature characters. Not convinced? Just take a look at some of the most popular ones: sitting in abject guilt and isolation, avoiding creepy third cousins who are under mistletoe because they only want to kiss their cousins, and throwing overly elaborate holiday parties in hopes that a that long lost love, whose main characteristics are that she is both nice and wealthy, will randomly show up (since no one ever actually invited her).

So, without further ado let’s take a look at these classic literary characters’ crazy winter breaks, and in this case crazy means sad and upsetting. Seriously, half these characters spend winter break crying because they are dealing with the fact that they murdered three children and created a fully functioning, weaponized army comprised entirely of prepubescent children.

Jack Merridew- Lord of the Flies

After becoming a sociopathic pig- and child-murderer while on the island, Jack was forced to cope with his bloodthirsty actions after he was rescued. Over winter break Jack will holed up in his room wishing he was back on the island where there are no consequences for his actions and where his crazy spear-wielding skills were described as godlike. Sadly, he won’t be attending any holiday parties, which is quite disappointing to say the least because his pig murder dance would have been all the rage. 

Mr. Rochester- Jane Eyre 

During winter break, Mr. Rochester is planning a pretty big surprise for his beloved, Jane. He’s  quite nervous because this is a big commitment and there is no turning back after he does this. Oh—was everyone thinking it was a proposal? Because that would be wrong—dead wrong. He’s actually revealing the existence of his insane first wife, Bertha, who stabbed her own brother and bit Mr. Rochester. Also, (guess what—the surprises just keep on coming!), Bertha lives in Mr. Rochester’s attic, which is in the same house Jane previously worked in and now lives in. Mr. Rochester is certain this won’t send Jane running for the hills and it’s pretty obvious he’s correct. What woman doesn’t want their ex’s crazy, hostile first wife living in the attic? 

Jay Gatsby- The Great Gatsby

After taking the fall for his lover’s vehicular manslaughter, Jay Gatsby has been a bit on edge. So, this winter break, Gatsby will be teaching courses down at the DMV. Sure, it’s not as luxurious as being a supposed bootlegger or having an affair with one of the most beautiful girls in town, but after witnessing someone accidentally murder someone else, Gatsby has taken an oath to make the road safer. Unless Daisy, the girl he was having an affair with, comes back to West Egg and announces she never loved her husband, Tom (therefore, erasing the last five years) and that she wants to run away with Gatsby. She and Tom ran away because they almost had to face the consequences for their actions- most notably of which included the aforementioned vehicular manslaughter, breaking Jay Gatsby’s heart, and donning disgustingly tight riding trousers. 

Mr. Darcy- Pride and Prejudice

This winter break Mr. Darcy is going to stumble through one of the worst gosh darn proposals ever spoken. During this proposal Mr. Darcy will say that he’s slightly disgusted with himself for liking someone so poor, but has finally succumbed to his emotions and is willing to make the sacrifice of marrying her. He also explains that marrying her is the only way to rid himself of this shame because after she marries him, she will no longer be poor (thank god). He then goes on to insult her family (he calls her mother off-putting, which she is, but don’t say that during the proposal!). So, there it is—if anyone out there is looking to propose like one of literature’s most adored characters, don’t forget to mention how her family is a disgrace to proper English society, insult her poor sense to be poor, and how completely and utterly disgusted you are for liking someone so beneath your station.

Alexis Stakem

West Chester '26

An obsession with polar bears, movies, and reading made into a person.