Wellness > Mental Health

Disproving The Negative Stigma Surrounding Therapy- Why Everyone Should Get Some

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

Whether you are going through a major life change, grief, anxiety, or depression, nothing is easy going through alone. There is a negative stigma surrounding therapy because many people don’t understand mental health and how it can negatively impact a person. Sometimes people think they are tough enough to be able to go through things alone and mentally push through, but a lot of times, not every person can do this. Why is therapy REALLY so important?

To start, there are many different types of therapy for many different reasons. For example, there is group therapy, 1 on 1 sessions and partner sessions. As for specific types, there are many kinds, but not limited to psychotherapy, exposure therapy, art therapy, interpersonal therapy, and cognitive behavioral therapy. Not every type of therapy is just for trauma. There are so many because there are so many challenges in life that no person should be going through alone. Whatever you are having trouble with, there is always someone to help you. 

Nowadays, there is a common negative stigma surrounding therapy and reaching out for help. Someone who gets therapy may be perceived as “weak” or not mentally strong enough. However, this is not the case, and in fact, quite the opposite. Many are not informed and ignorant of how detrimental mental illnesses can be to someone. Rather than being seen as mentally fragile, people who reach out for help should be seen as courageous and strong. It is not easy to admit that you need help or speak to someone about your feelings. Often, people are fearful to reach out because of these recent stigmas, making everyday harder to get through. Because of this, many people are suffering in silence and trying to push through by themself. When you are able, it is important to educate those who are unaware of mental health issues and help stop spreading the negative stigma. 

Even just talking to a family member and explaining what you’re going through will make it seem a lot less intimidating to get help. Many do not realize that there are people there for them and to support them. Therapy doesn’t have to be a big deal- sometimes you may want a second opinion or just someone to rant to. The first step to better is acknowledging something is off. This is the hardest thing to do. We always want to be strong to get through things on our own, but it is not easy to admit that you may need some extra help. 

Therapy has many benefits besides just talking to someone other than your family. According to WonderMind, therapy can help you to build stronger relationships, figure out tricky symptoms you may be having, break habits that are “impossible” to break, learn to be nicer to yourself and engage in self love, facing your problems instead of avoiding them, and ask for help when you need it. These may not seem like major life changes, but when you are going through something tough, sometimes a small change makes all the difference in your everyday life!

I think everybody needs a little therapy whether they realize it or not. I have always been a huge advocate for mental health and therapy and will continue doing so until this negative stigma is stopped. Admitting you need help and talking to someone can literally change your life. 

Macarthy Keane

West Chester '26

Gymnast at West Chester University Writer for Her Campus at WCU