Kristen Bryant-Bodies
Kristen Bryant-Bodies
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

Woman doing bicep curls
Pixabay

First things first, let’s begin with exercising. Most cringe at just the word, but we underestimate how liberating exercising is for the mind. Exercise has been proven to be an amazing stress reliever. I, personally, try to work out four to five times a week; even if it just taking my dog out for a walk. Simply taking twenty to thirty minutes of a break from homework to get outside and get moving can be beneficial. I guarantee you, taking that short break will have you feeling even more motivated to complete your assignments than before. Along with exercising, you can also try out yoga. It is not as demanding as vigorous exercise is; there are many different ways to do yoga and just like intense exercise, it can keep the mind occupied for a short period of time giving you the break you need from your schoolwork. If you believe exercise is not the way to keep a clear mind for you, there are other four ways you can try in order to do so.

person sitting at the edge of a bed with an open book in their lap and a cup of coffee in hand
Anthony Tran | Unsplash

The second way you can try to keep a clear mind is by reading material that is not so much related to anything that has to do with school. You can read magazines, romance, sci-fi, and whatever other genre helps you stimulate your brain. If you have never tried reading, but would like to give it a go, I say; do it. Reading is just like watching a movie, yet your brain is the one making up all the scenes and picturing all the characters. By the time you get to the third page, anything that is going on in your mind is guaranteed to just float away. Reading is one of my favorite ways to get a hold of my thoughts and keep a clear mind during the school year.  If reading is not for you, have you ever thought about drawing, coloring, or painting?

watercolor painting
Sincerely Media

The next thing I would attempt at as mentioned before is drawing, coloring, or painting. I did not even know I had artistic capabilities until quarantine happened. I was so stressed out and all over the place, that I was trying to find ways to keep my mind busy, so I proceeded to pick up some art materials and get working. Even if you do not think you are good at drawing or painting, simply buying coloring books and some colored pencils, crayons, or markers. Better yet, taking those coloring books and finding a quiet place at a park is one of my favorite ways to keep a clear mind especially with some of my favorite tunes playing in the background. It’s a great way to liberate the brain and get yourself right. 

Jason Briscoe
Jason Briscoe / Unsplash

Finally, we have one of my favorite ways to keep my head clear; cooking and baking. Cooking as well as baking is very fun especially when you get your friends involved. The majority of us are living with roommates so not only do you get to take a break from schoolwork, but you also get to spend some quality time with your friends and eat delicious food afterward.  

The biggest lesson to get out of college and in life in general in my opinion is understanding that too much of anything can be a bad thing. Society has put such a huge pressure on ours as well as the younger generations when it comes down to the importance of acquiring a diploma. Regardless of whether school is for you or not, the ways listed above are things one can do to keep a clear mind no matter what is going on in your life. Lastly, always remember that your body and your mind are your temples; you only get one of each so take care of them.

Alessandra Russo

West Chester '21

My name is Alessandra Russo. I am a graduating senior from West Chester University, with an expected Bachelor’s Degree in International Business and Spanish. Currently involved in two organizations at West Chester University which include Wescon; a marketing consulting group and being the Public Event Coordinator, Content Moderator, and Writer for Her Campus. I absolutely love being a part of Her Campus and everything this group stands for. Not only did I get to meet amazing women that empower each other but I am also gaining new experiences on a day-to-day basis thanks to the powerful people I work with.
Contributor account.