This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

Black Mirror is a Netflix original show that is utterly mind-blowing. Like seriously, it messes your mind up. Each episode is intricate and packed with unexpected twists and turns. There are 6 seasons, all eerie and unique. Unlike most series, it doesn’t follow chronological order or a spanning plot. Each episode has its own Universe, plot, and resolution. However, all episodes explore distorted dystopian themes that echo a modern day Twilight Zone. No matter how outlandish and disturbing many episodes are, they share lessons with eerie consequences to actions: be careful who you trust, the dangers of blackmail, and above all, the insanity that is technology and media. Mind altering, suspenseful, futuristic and jaw dropping is everything that Black Mirror is about. Here are 5 episodes that left me questioning EVERYTHING.

The Entire History of You (Season 1)

This episode isn’t necessarily haunting like others, but it poses as a creepy dystopian topic that many Black Mirror episodes contain: extremely advanced technology. Now some may think rewatching your own memories would be beneficial or great, but personally that seems horrible. Being able to watch everything that happened and hyper-focus on specific memories is like a never ending cycle of either regret or wishing to relive it. Definitely a great starter episode or “taste test” for your brain to get ready for the next 4 we’re about to explore.

Hang the DJ (Season 3)

Think of dating apps, but in a controlled setting. The characters in this episode are matched up with numerous people, but forced to stay with them for a certain period of time until the timer runs out. When the timer runs out, they get matched with someone else. Each person knows the exact amount of time they have with their partner. The goal of this is to find your final soulmate. What makes this episode so strange and mind-boggling is that it’s all a part of a simulation. Many of us have questioned if we are living in a simulation…this episode definitely sparked that question up for me again. 

Nosedive (Season 3)

Here is where Black Mirror REALLY explores the dangers of social media. We can easily see how caught up people can get in popularity status and obsessions with social media. In this episode, people can pull out their phones and rate other people with 1-5 stars. The main character becomes so entranced and obsessed with her status, she ends up going insane. This episode is not only eerie but an eye opener to how preoccupied society can be with social media status, especially with the growing technology year to year. 

Shut Up and Dance (Season 3)

A fan favorite episode by many, this one really rocked my world. When a teenager gets caught up in an online virus after accessing an adult website, people end up blackmailing him to commit acts such as stealing money and fighting other people so that his secret won’t be exposed. When he thinks he is doing everything right and completes all of the anonymous persons’ tasks, he ends up with his secret out and his life completely ruined. The plot twist at the end is SO mind blowing. This one is truly creepy and always gives me chills every time I watch it.

Beyond the Sea (Season 6)

When I tell you that my jaw was wide open at the end of this episode, I am not lying. This episode RUINED me. There is a lot to unpack: 2 astronauts are able to alternate between space and Earth by using replicas. When one man’s family gets killed, that’s when it starts to get dark. This episode is longer than usual so it feels like a short movie. The plot is so intricate and interesting. I don’t want to spoil too much but I’ll say that the ending was the most unexpected, heartbreaking, and sick endings from the entire show. 

Black Mirror is one of those shows where you think about it for the next week after watching it. You’ll feel a little crazy after, too. There are so many episodes that have stuck with me for YEARS. There’s no other connection like one where you and another person dissect the chilling plots of each episode. If you’re looking for a show to watch now and again that might mess you up for a week, then you’re in luck with Black Mirror

Jessica Creamer

West Chester '26

Second year West Chester student majoring in Secondary Education & English!