travel adventure sunset jeep road trip
travel adventure sunset jeep road trip
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus

10 Survival Tips That Will Drive College Commuters Through The Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

Commuting to school can have a plethora of problems like timing traffic, finding parking, one’s car not starting, inclement weather, car maintenance, etc. These problems can end up consuming you throughout the semester, and it can wreak havoc in your college experience. 

That being said, this, however, does not even begin to scratch the surface of the struggles that come with being on campus for hours while you wait for classes or clubs to start. As a commuter of almost three years, I have put together a list of items that I keep in my car, as well as some overall tips to get you through the semester.

Tip #1: Make a “Small Essentials Bag”

This could end up being a life-saver for you during the semester. It could also be used as an emergency bag. My seven essentials are:

• Item 1: An extra phone charger 
  • Item 2: A small umbrella
  • Item 3: A box of pads and tampons 
  • Item 4: An extra sweater and pair of pants
  • Item 5: A ready-to-use reusable water bottle 
  • Item 6: Comfortable slides or old sneakers 
  • Item 7: Hair tie and lip balm

Tip #2: Have Jumper Cables In Your Car

Being in college, keeping up with your car can be hard. Driving in cold weather, storms, and heat can affect your car in many different ways. Be prepared in case anything goes awry. 

Now that you have some of the basic essentials that could be used to get you through an emergency, let’s continue on to some more tips and tricks that would be helpful to you as a commuter on campus.

Tip #3: Say “Hey” To The Person Sitting Next To You

As a commuter, you might be feeling like an outcast as everyone around you talks about roommates or knows each other from the dorms or a hangout they had. Establish a connection with the people around you — you can connect through laptop stickers, food, and classes!

Tip #4: Join a Club

This might put you off if clubs meet at a certain time where it does not align with your schedule. However, joining clubs might not only get you connections, but it can also allow you to get experience and make new connections with people who share the same interests as you!

Tip #5: Use Office Hours 

This tip can be applied to anyone, but using office hours to make a connection with your professors can really enrich your college experience.

Tip #6: Carpool

Carpooling can be a great option for commuters because it allows you to save money on gas, can make your commute more enjoyable, and can even allow you to get a closer parking spot as some universities encourage carpooling and have reserved spots for that.

Tip #7: Get a Credit Card With Good Rewards

Although credit cards can be dangerous, using them responsibly has many benefits. I know that Chase, Discover, and many other cards give cash back when you make purchases on gas or food. I have gotten up to $20 in cash back just by using my credit card to get gas. This helps bring down my credit card bill that is used for gas only! However, keep in mind to make those monthly payments on time.

Tip #8: Use Gap Time Get Some Work Done

Although this might seem like a good time to go take a nap in your car or in the library, or to scroll endlessly through TikTok, use this time to get ahead of your class work.

Tip #9: Bring Something To Read

Bringing a book to read can really help you de-stress and relax. It can also help you pass time if you are waiting for another class to start, or if you are waiting for a club and you do not have any homework to work on.

Tip #10: Meditate 

Whether your commute is a short ten-minute drive or an hour drive, take time to meditate. It can help you destress and let you look at any problems or blanks you may be having. A good time to meditate would be once you have arrived at school or before you start your commute.

These tips have saved me time, money and mental breakdowns when days get too overwhelming. You can always send us tips on how you survive your commute at @hcatwestchester!

Vanessa Rodriguez

West Chester '23

Vanessa is a self-motivated and innovative digital marketer who has 2 years of experience in Marketing Campaigns, Public Relations, Content Creation, Copywriting, Canva, Client Development, Adobe, Microsoft Office Suite, Brand partnerships and Social Media Marketing, looking for a full-time opportunity in the digital marketing field.