This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

Whether you are new to the makeup and cosmetics scene or are familiar with it and want to make new, ethical choices, the best way to do so is to start to switch over to cruelty-free brands. Awareness has continued to grow around veganism and cruelty-free lifestyles, so I compiled a list of my top 10 favorite cruelty-free cosmetics brands that I think you’ll love!

Anastasia Beverly Hills

Anastasia Beverly Hills is known for its outstanding line of eyebrow products ranging from gel brushes, pens, crayons, powders, and their dip brow. The range of shades is very diverse and fit for anyone’s skin color. The brand has dedicated to creating fantastic cruelty-free products from the beginning, and they genuinely have succeeded.

bareMinerals

bareMinerals is a natural, vegan, and diverse makeup brand. None of their products contain fragrances, harmful chemicals, or preservatives. Their foundations come in 20-30 different shades; this makes it easy for any skin tone to find their perfect match. bareMinerals is the perfect choice when it comes to clean beauty; this cruelty-free makeup brand will make your skin glow.

E.l.f.

E.l.f (eyes, lips, face) is an entirely vegan and cruelty-free makeup brand. They wear these labels proudly; since 2006, PETA has recognized and supported Elf’s dedication to cruelty-free makeup. A lot of Elf’s products are excellent. Elf’s brushes are a very affordable and high-quality product; all of the brushes are, of course, synthetic and high quality. In their own words, “look good and feel good-all out formulas are 100% vegan, no animal testing and made without the nasty bad-for-you stuff. Totally guilt-free.”

IT Cosmetics

IT Cosmetics is a company founded by a beautiful woman, Jamie Kern Lima. She created the brand with dermatologists and plastic surgeons to make products that she felt the market lacked; her main concerns were redness and thin brows. The fantastic full coverage concealers and foundations came from this. All of IT Cosmetics products are never tested on animals and are not sold in areas where animal testing is required by law.

CoverGirl

In November 2018, Covergirl became leaping bunny certified, which is the gold standard for being cruelty-free. They announced this exciting news by saying, “Covergirl does not test on animals, and now we’re Leaping Bunny certified by Cruelty-Free International, which means we’re Cruelty-Free across ALL our products, EVERYWHERE we’re sold.” It is always a big deal when an affordable brand becomes cruelty-free; it’s a giant leap forward, and hopefully, more cost-efficient companies will follow.

Lush

Holy natural beauty! I don’t think you can get more natural and personal than Lush. Lush is a very transparent company; they list all of the ingredients on their packaging and website. You can even see who personally packed your product. Lush is a huge advocate against animal testing. Their products aren’t entirely vegan, but the vegan products are labeled. Lush makes fantastic gifts for any occasion. Their gift boxes are gorgeous and full of natural goodies. The packing peanuts are so natural you can eat them (although I don’t recommend that).

Fenty Beauty

Rihanna debuted her stunning makeup brand, Fenty Beauty, and she started with 40 foundation shades. Fenty Beauty is a moderately priced high-end beauty brand. The products are packaged beautifully, full of pigment, and a flawless finish. Rihanna’s brand was built on a love for makeup and continued as a completely cruelty-free line. “Makeup is there for you to play with. it’s there for you to have fun with. it should never feel like pressure, and it should never feel like a uniform.”–Rihanna

Tarte

Tarte is a bright and fun brand full of high-quality makeup that satisfies all your makeup needs from primer to setting spray plus brushes and beauty blenders to create your gorgeous look. Tarte is vegan and cruelty-free which makes their iconic shape tape concealer even better. My under eyes look brighter, just thinking about it. No animals were harmed in the making of your flawless face.  

Too Faced

When I think of cruelty-free cosmetics, Too Faced immediately comes to my mind. When you go to the Too Faced website, their cruelty-free logo is proudly at the top of their page. Too Faced was bought by Estée Lauder in December of 2016. Estée Lauder does test on animals, but Too Faced stressed many times they are still a completely cruelty-free brand. In addition to being cruelty-free and backed by PETA, Too Faced also has Over 50 vegan products including their loved Better Than Sex mascara, Hangover primer, and Born This Way foundation (35 shades). You can find all of these on a special webpage.

Urban Decay

Urban Decay is a glamorous, edgy brand; they have never tested on animals. They state on their website, “how could anyone do that to our furry friends.” I think everyone can agree with that statement. Urban Decay also has a lot of vegan products and are working towards becoming completely vegan. Their newest Naked Ultraviolet eye shadow pallet is vegan and their well-known setting spray and their eye shadow priming potion. You can shop all of their vegan products on a special tab on their website. Check it out here.

Jacqueline is a senior at West Chester University, located in West Chester, Pennsylvania. She is working towards her Bachelor of Arts degree in Media Culture studies, with a Strategic Communication Concentration. Jacqueline is also working towards her minor in creative writing. In her future, Jacqueline hopes to write a book and find a career where she can pursue her passion for writing and creativity.
Contributor account.