Career

Sincerely, Jack Of All Trades, Master of None

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WesCo chapter.

Are you finding yourself in a rather chaotic state of not knowing what your niche is? Well, the good news is that you will ultimately progress in whatever field you apply yourself to. The bad news is that society has some road blocks in store for you. 

Linear Progression and Vulnerability. 

Doing something you love with no expectation of success is a rather vulnerable task. Look at it this way, children are essentially in an inherent state of oblivion when it comes to success, talent, or progress until they are provided with specific feedback that states otherwise.

During these prime adolescent years a system of learned behavioral patterns form what we perceive as positive or negative feedback ultimately determining whether or not we are indeed “successful”. If you’re feeling like you’re in a constant state of repetition or “getting nowhere”, let’s dissect those feelings. How do you negate success? Are you intrinsically or extrinsically validated? What motivates you to do things?

Although I can not negate any internal conflict or imposing trauma that you may have, I can tell you that progression and success are not linear. You may have been taught to reach for the stars, but has anyone told you how to get there? 

Well, it’s damn sure not a ladder. You will naturally go through ups and downs in your journey to be successful in any genre of life. It’s okay to be a beginner; it’s okay not to have a natural god given (or whatever you believe in) ability; it’s okay not to be on the same level as your peers; it’s okay to be vulnerable in knowing you are not an expert; it’s okay. Take your time and apply yourself to whatever you’re doing. As long as what you do makes you happy and doesn’t impose on anyone elses rights, bump what anyone has to say. 

Coming to Terms with Your Success

Yes, you get an A for effort, but not everyone needs the winning trophy. Today we are not able to separate the idea of effort vs. execution. The physical, emotional, instinctual, or knowledge based effort one has to put into a task is inherently different from person to person – thank you genetics and evolution. 

For example, it’s seventh grade field day and everyone participates in a race. Little Johnny might run a mile in ten minutes whereas Little Tyler runs it in five. Both of them may be running their little hearts out, but let’s face it: Little Tyler clearly exceeded the task at a higher performance level. Therefore she (yes, I said she check your gender normative vibes here please) wins the blue ribbon.

Does this invalidate Johnny? No. 

It just means that Johnny has to spend more time and effort to get to the same level, whereas Tyler might have a natural ability. Intrinsically, you will have to come to terms with rewarding yourself. Although you may not be number one right now, growing as an individual is much more important. So let’s start accepting our best as good enough. 

– Sincerely, Jack of All Trades, Master of None 

Tyler Walker is the Co-Correspondent for Her Campus at Wesleyan College. An avid Naruto enthusiast, painter, and author. Tyler is a passionate leader and dabbles in the realm of puns. Look forward her article series ",Sincerely -".