This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WesCo chapter.

Over winter break, I thought a lot about how I think about people and their behavior and found myself wondering – if I act based on someone’s past behavior, is that biased? 

I love to promote growth and learning, but sometimes there are people who refuse to take part in becoming a better person. I’ve dealt time and again with those kinds of people and it’s frustrating; I often times find myself treating them differently because of the ways I know they act and react. For example, I’ve chosen many times to cut people out of my life rather than try to reach an understanding with them because I know they won’t change without a radical action. 

However, when this transfers into more professional situations, it feels more like bias. For example, if I know someone has consistently had below standard work as well as a bad work ethic, I won’t expect them to create something worthwhile. Sometimes, though, I find myself surprised because they actually end up making something good. 

I try often to keep an open mind, but it’s hard when people constantly let me down. I don’t think I have an answer to this dilemma, but I do think it’s something to consider when I find myself acting on preconceived notions. 

Meagan Speich is a writer & senior editor for WesCo HerCampus. She has an English major and minors in Religious Studies. When not writing, she can be found reading, sleeping, or eating, and finds it unfortunate that she can't do all at once.