Wellness > Sex + Relationships

To The Girl Who Let Him Go, Thank You!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WesCo chapter.

It was the beginning of college. I was in a relationship with someone I thought I was in love with. Little did I know, everything I knew was about to end. 

My first week of college was an experience! I went to the club for the first time, looking like a tall glass of fine wine. I was busy with tons of work, new friends, and a relationship was the last thing on my mind. So I did what I thought was best, and ended the relationship. In my mind, he didn’t exist anyway. 

A couple of weeks went by and I was living it up!

But somewhere down the line, I started back communicating with an old friend of mine. We’re both small-town country kids who happen to cross paths in high school. We thought nothing of it, so of course, I thought it wasn’t going to go anywhere.

I would’ve never thought the love of my life would only live 30 minutes away.

For the next four months, my weekends were spent by his side, holding his hand until I left that Sunday. I would and spend hours listening to his heartbeat like it’s a song I never want to end. I now spend my weekends and almost every second of everyday hearing about how much his Line Brothers get on his nerves or the problem with mental health in the black community.

I wouldn’t trade those moments for anything in the world.

Besides my nephew, he is my biggest blessing. 

My only wish is that I get to spend the rest of my life with my best friend.

So I say to the girl who let him go, thank you!

Thank you for not seeing the beauty in his eyes, the warmth of his hugs, how hilarious his jokes are, his worth, his charismatic personality. Thank you for letting go and allowing me to show him how beautiful he really is. 

Greetings and most humble salutations! I am Taylor Mackenzie, a first-year student here at the historic Wesleyan College majoring in Early Childhood Education with a minor in English emphasizes writing hailing from Alamo, Georgia. I currently serve as Vice-President of the Golden Class, Head of the voting committee for Black Studnet Alliance, and a member of Campus Activity Board. I also the current Miss Black Georgia Talented Teen 2020. I enjoy shopping, writing, and smiling of course. "Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown." - William Shakespeare Henry