This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

I have always been a feminist, even before I knew what feminism was. Ever since I was a little kid I’ve spoken out when something didn’t sit right. When the boys in my neighborhood told me I couldn’t play basketball with them because I was “too girly,” I played anyway (and kicked their asses, might I add). When I brought my matchbox cars to show and tell in first grade my classmates were quick to judge, but I still showed them off proudly. In fifth grade, a boy joined my dance class, and I was one of the few girls to encourage him. In middle school, I joined a robotics team in which I was the only girl. The boys on the team wouldn’t take me seriously until I fixed our robot which malfunctioned ten minutes before a competition. In third grade, I told my teacher that I wanted to change the world, to which he laughed, and to which I replied: “watch me.” I still stand by that. So yes, I’m a feminist. I’m a feminist because I’m a fighter for equality. I’m a feminist because I am determined to make a change.

When I say I’m a feminist, the most common response I get is “why?”. Why? Because people of all races, classes, and genders should be equal in every sense of the word. If your next thought is “but women are already equal,” then I’m going to have to disagree with you on that. Yes, women can vote. Yes, women can have jobs in the public sphere. Yes, a woman can make it in this world. But until we live in a utopian world where one’s race, class, and gender doesn’t depict an individual’s place and opportunity in life, we need feminism. This is only the beginning.

We still need feminism because on average, a white woman earns roughly 80% as a man in the same position, while women of color earn an average of 63%.

We still need feminism because gender because answering? , “it doesn’t matter” is offsetting to the McDonald’s employee who asks “boy or girl toy?”

We still need feminism because men are encouraged to not express emotion (unless that emotion is anger, of course).

We still need feminism because we live in a society that perpetuates rape culture, almost guaranteeing that 1 out of every 6 women will be victimized within their lifetime (rainn.org).

We still need feminism because women are still fighting for control over their own bodies.

We still need feminism because our struggles are systematically enforced.

So if you believe that individuals should be treated equally human regardless of their race, class, and gender, then you’re a feminist.

Photo Courtesy of Affinity

Kaylen, a Campus Correspondent for HC at Wells, is a senior at Wells College studying Women's and Gender Studies and Psychology.  "Like Ivy, we grew where there was room for us"-Miranda July
Wells Womxn