alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why My “useless” Majors Matter to Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

Despite everyone telling me not to, I just declared myself as a double major in Women’s and Gender Studies and Psychology. Before entering college I intended on being an English major, which turned into a Political Science major, which turned into a Museum Studies major. None of these felt quite right, but I was advised to not become a Gender Studies major because I “wouldn’t be able to do anything with it,” or was told that “you’re just doing this because you’re a crazy feminist.”

By telling me that my majors aren’t valid, you’re saying that having an understanding of women and an understanding of human psychology isn’t valid. You’re wrong. 

If studying what’s important to me makes me a “crazy feminist,” then so be it. If you think that understanding the system in which we all conduct our lives won’t do anything for me, then you’re wrong. As a double major in gender studies and psychology, I’m able to learn about how our society functions and why it functions as it does. With this understanding, I can make real change. Rather than just sitting back and saying “fuck the system,” I can actually understand the roots of the system and deconstruct its flaws. 

With these majors, I can help those whose gender took over their lives. I can come from a point of understanding as a survivor of sexual assault and eating disorders. 

With these majors I’m taught about the importance of intersectionality that my white privilege alone could not provide me with; even though I’m a lower-middle class lesbian as well as a survivor, I am still white. 

With these majors, I’m taught about how to use my privilege as an ally without overstepping my bounds.

With these majors, I’ve learned so much about myself and what introspection can do in my growth.

With these majors, my perspective of the world will be ever changing.

With these majors, I’m going to change the world. Just watch.  

Kaylen, a Campus Correspondent for HC at Wells, is a senior at Wells College studying Women's and Gender Studies and Psychology.  "Like Ivy, we grew where there was room for us"-Miranda July
Wells Womxn