This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

You may have heard of Brett Kavanaugh in the news but might not be sure who he is. Or what all this talk about him is really about. Basically, there has been a new nominee for a Supreme Court position. Only nine members fill the Supreme Court (highest federal court). This position is crucial to politics, government and decision making. As the Constitution states, the nine that sit on this court are there as long as they have “good behavior” on the court. That is a very broad term to refer to how long justices can stay. So, people often say you are appointed “for life” in this position. Supreme Court cases set a precedent for every case and law that comes after it. The president gets to nominate a candidate. Then the senate can vote on them if they believe that nominee is viable.

Depending on what party the president aligns with, the chosen members have ever-lasting effects on the court. Trump is more of a right-wing politician and his choice (Brett Kavanaugh) is someone who resembles his own ideals. Regardless of the next president or who takes the Senate majority in the following years, Brett Kavanaugh will continue to sit on the court.

There have been several Supreme Court cases that have changed American life. Especially cases pertaining to Women’s rights such as birth control, abortion and women’s right to vote. In the midst of this Supreme Court nomination is sexual assault charges. Brett Kavanaugh has been accused of sexual assault by a woman named Christine Blasey Ford. All nominees have hearings before a confirmation to the Supreme Court. On September 27th, survivor Blasey Ford will testify in an open hearing.

There have been many individuals who have supported Kavanaugh and many that haven’t. A former congressional candidate had stated, “tell me what boy hasn’t done this in high school. Please, I would like to know.” Since the allegations, his ratings have gone down. Some say it is important to vote in the upcoming elections to vote for senators who may support people like Kavanaugh or vote against him. Kavanaugh’s confirmation is based on the Senate majority. If the majority of the Senate is right wing, Kavanaugh will be more likely to get confirmed.  

Back in 1991, Anita Hill was testifying against Clarence Thomas, a current Supreme Court justice. At the time, the questions given to her were intense and unfair. First off, it was a panel of white men questioning a black female who was sexually harassed. They seemed to belittle Hill and present difficult questions. Joe Biden stepped forward and spoke upon what happened in the 1991 hearings. He thinks that Christine Blasey, “shouldn’t be vilified like Anita Hill,”. There’s no telling how the hearings will go. Hopefully, the questions directed to Ford are fair and reliable. We do not want a repeat of what happened to Anita Hill.

These hearings are very important to see the climate now surrounding women’s equality. This will also give us insight on how they will deal with these issues in the future. Through these hearings, we will be able to see how the government handles sexual assault in 2018.

doing my work for better days.
Wells Womxn