This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

Picture this: You are in the middle of having the best sex of your life, the kind that you fantasize about. You’re going at it, ah ah ah, totally lost in the moment, when your vagina lets out a noise that sounds way too similar to a fart. It feels like a complete mood killer, but it should not be. It is not a big deal. You just queefed.

Many women are embarrassed by this completely natural thing that their body does, mostly because many people still do not understand what queefing is. So, what is a queef? A queef is NOT a “pussy fart”. Farts entail a smelly odor, which is the main reason why people get embarrassed. Farts come from the internal gases in the stomach which is why they smell funky, but a queef happens when air gets into your vagina. Hence queefs are entirely odorless. You can’t predict a queef, but they can occur when fingers, a penis, or toys move in and out of your vagina, trapping air inside of you.  Remember, what goes in must come out. When the air is released, voila, you have a queef. Queefing doesn’t only happen during sexual activities but also during other physical activities like yoga. Believe it or not, many women can even make themselves queef on demand.

If you are someone that wants to prevent queefing, there are some things you can do to prevent it but remember, they are very unpredictable, and you can not entirely avoid them.  Certain sexual positions like doggy-style can higher a woman’s chances of queefing because the vagina is more open and straight, acting like a little canal for air to be pumped through. The speed in which you’re having sex can also make a woman queef so slowing down the rate of penetration can help.  Many women recommend sticking a finger into your vagina when switching positions to prevent queefing because it will help the air escape without making the sound. Even after taking precautionary measures you may still queef so just try to stop stressing over this completely natural bodily function.

It is about time that the awkwardness surrounding queefing has died out. By talking about it, it will become less taboo, and women will be less likely to be embarrassed about it. A person’s reaction to queefing ultimately reflects how much they know about it. Queefing is an entirely natural phenomenon, and it is not something to be disgusted about. Though, the sound of a queef can take you by surprise; it should not put a damper on things.  It can actually provide some comic relief during sex. You should be able to smile and laugh with your sexual partner. There is nothing better than a good laugh during some really good sex. There is no reason to be ashamed of natural body functions. In the end, you kind of have to accept that life’s a toot, and queefs happen.

Jahaira is a double major in Psychology and Women's and Gender Studies and a campus correspondent for the Her Campus chapter at Wells College.