This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

At the U.S tennis open, the match between Serena Williams and Naomi Osaka ended on a sour note, with Williams’ accusing Carlos Ramos, the chair umpire, of sexism for claiming the tennis star cheated during the match, after her coach was seen making hand signals during the game. Williams’ repeatedly denied that she cheated. Later in the match Ramos’ docked her a point when she smashed her racket, which resulted in a full game penalty when Williams ‘berated’ him which he claims was verbal abuse.

Later in Saturday’s match, Ramos docked Williams a point after she smashed her racket upon misplaying a shot. Ramos then issued Williams a full game penalty after she called him a “thief,” saying the comment amounted to verbal abuse. “You stole a point from me, and you are a thief,” Williams told him.-CNN

Because of this Serena accused Ramos’ of sexism, since most male tennis players who do a lot worse then she was claimed had done. The tournament referee fined Williams’ over 17,000 dollars, which will go toward the International Tennis Federation’s Grand Slam Fund, which is unfortunate and unjust, in my opinion. Famous tennis players like Andy Murray, who back in 2016 kicked a tennis ball at one of the umpires, and was lauded for his actions, and received no consequences. Roger Federer at the 2009 U.S Open Men’s Final told an umpire, ‘Don’t f—ing talk to me’, and was only fined $1,500. Why then, should Serena be fined over $17,000 for wanting an apology for being called a cheat.

Not to mention the controversial cartoon published by the Herald Sun, an Australian newspaper, depicts Williams’ jumping up and down with a baby’s dummy, with the umpire telling her counterpart, who is depicted as a blond, when is really Japanese-Haitian, ‘’Can you just let her win?’ Many who agree with the newspaper claim it was to showcase William’s unprofessionalism during the match, but J.K Rowling went right to tennis star’s defense on social media, saying that the cartoon was extremely racist. The cartoon received a number of complaints, including William’ husband, that not only was it sexist, but racist, as her physical features were placed in a disfigurative light.

Dr. Jason Johnson, a professor of politics and journalism at Morgan State University, said the cartoon was inherently racist, reported Yahoo!.

He said it depicted Serena as “brooding, big-lipped, almost ape-like [as] black women in America and black women’s bodies have been racially portrayed in the past”. (Newshub)

Serena Williams’ is not only a 23 grand slam champion, she is also an on-going feminist and outspoken on women’s rights in health care, and is remarked as ‘one of the greatest sportswoman alive.’ The cartoon was offensive, and the comments stating she was unprofessional was indeed a double standard and was right to have received hostility. But again, like always, these stories become so repetitive, but we have yet to put them to rest. This is one of those stories that raises the bar on equal status, for all women.   

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Arielle Canate is a junior at Wells College. She loves anthropology, American Horror Story, films and books. Hobbies include: Mythology (any one), Marvel comics, music, and makeup
Wells Womxn