This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

Climate change is on the rise! Since the mid-20th century, the end of the Industrial Age, the Earth’s temperature has risen because of increased carbon dioxide. Everything that humans have created that involves technology in some way like transportation, light and gas pollution affect the world, and unfortunately, there might be no way to stop it.

Many things can change our climate of course, like the Sun, volcanoes, etc., but it’s mostly due to humans and their need for fossil fuels. According to NASA, ‘’The heat-trapping nature of carbon dioxide and other gases was demonstrated in the mid-19th century.Their ability to affect the transfer of infrared energy through the atmosphere is the scientific basis of many instruments flown by NASA. There is no question that increased levels of greenhouse gases must cause the Earth to warm in response. Ice cores drawn from Greenland, Antarctica, and tropical mountain glaciers show that the Earth’s climate responds to changes in greenhouse gas levels.’’ – (NASA)

From global temperature rising to warm oceans and rising sea levels, and the disappearance of almost all glacial masses everywhere around the world, including the Alps, Himalayas, Andes, Rockies, Alaska, and Africa, the evidence is very clear that we are facing cataclysmic news. Extreme weather, like Hurricane Harvey, Irma and now Florence as powerful storms, with Irma being the strongest observed in the Atlantic are beginning to be more common. Many people were affected by the storm, and unfortunately, government officials like our dear President are refusing to associate these storms to the changing of our planet.

“Yet Trump and his minions are the loyal servants of the fossil-fuel industry, which fill Republican party campaign coffers. Trump has also stalled the fight against climate change by pulling out of the Paris Agreement. The politicians thereby deprive the people of their lives and property out of profound cynicism, greed, and willful scientific ignorance.’’ – (CNN)

I know this sounds frightening. I know thinking of the future is frightening. Ignoring this very real and possible chaotic and cataclysmic future and passing it onto the next generation is detrimental to everyone involved when there is a possibility of stopping it now, like switching to zero-carbon energy, or something as simple as turning off the lights when you leave a room. What can you do to make a difference?

Arielle Canate is a junior at Wells College. She loves anthropology, American Horror Story, films and books. Hobbies include: Mythology (any one), Marvel comics, music, and makeup
Wells Womxn