This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

I’ve always loved the challenge of finding the perfect gift for someone I care for, and the feeling of seeing their face light up as they lay eyes on something I picked out specially for them. I’m a sucker for making people happy, especially the people I love most, and in lieu of literally handing them the world (a physical impossibility, I’m afraid), I embark on the quest of selecting the gift that will bring out their biggest smile and brighten their day. 

While it’s wonderful to purchase a big-ticket item or something strictly materialistic for your person, I find that sometimes the best feeling is to surprise them with something a bit more meaningful and heartfelt. If you’re struggling to come up with the gift to convey just how much you love them—whether for a specific occasion or for the hell of it—here’s a list that might help.

A Framed Photo of the Two of You

If you are long-distance, this is a great way to remind your partner of the love you share. Even if you see each other frequently, a framed photo will bring to light a memory that’s special to the both of you and freeze it in time forever.

Spotify Keychain

Trend Elites sells an engraved keychain that, when scanned with your phone, plays the song of your choosing. Engrave one of these keychains with your song so your partner can carry it with them wherever they go.

Custom Star Map

Create a star map that shows the stars exactly as they were on a specific date and location. You can pick a significant event in your relationship (first date, engagement, wedding day, etc.). I kept seeing advertisements for these and finally got my boyfriend one for Valentine’s Day. I chose the night we met. You can choose whether to frame it and add a personalized message. Many websites do this kind of thing; I chose Twinkle in Time and the final product was of great quality!

Instant Camera

This was my boyfriend’s gift to me this past Valentine’s Day, and I use it almost every day. He got me the Fujifilm Instax camera, which can be found on Amazon. It’s an amazing way to capture and collect special moments with your partner and have the physical photos instantaneously. Taking the pictures together is super fun (we even caption some of them) and I have a box full of over fifty photos of us that I will be able to look back on as the years go by.

Handcrafted Artwork

Handcrafted artwork is one of the best gifts to give your person. This can come in many forms: a drawing of you together or of something they like, a blanket knit in their favorite color, a poem expressing your feelings for them, or a makeshift storybook retelling your love story. Though I never used oil paints before, I spent a month recreating a painting of Mac Miller that my boyfriend said he liked at one point. Even if you don’t consider yourself an artist, they will appreciate and feel honored by the time, effort and emotion you put into the handmade gift.

A List of Reasons You Love Them

A sweet, surefire, and straightforward way to their heart. Everyone loves hearing about how awesome they are in someone else’s eyes, even if they don’t ask for it overtly. Considering they are undoubtedly the MOST awesome in your eyes, it shouldn’t be hard to jot down a few of the reasons why and let them know. As a relationship progresses, it’s easy for one or both people to get busy and forget to give their partner these affirmations of why they love them. You want your partner to feel loved, and sometimes telling them exactly why they are so special to you is the best way. Write it out and spare no detail—this is the most perfect, simple, and personal gift that will remind your partner just how much they mean to you.

The Random Surprise

Dramatic professions of love are nice, but the little things count, too. Randomly surprise your partner with a snack they like, flowers, a note, or a trinket reminding them of an inside joke you share. A simple gesture like this will indicate to your person that you remember what they like and you’re thinking of them.

Savannah is currently a senior at Wells College. She is pursuing a bachelor’s degree in English with a concentration in creative writing.