This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

Feminist anthems have allowed people to embrace their femme identities. With the increase of female artists and pro-female lyrics, we are able to celebrate who we are and the power that we, and other femmes, have. In celebrating the power of women, here are some feminist anthems to empower your journey into Women’s History Month.

1. Girl on Fire by Alicia Keys

Need one song to give you instant confidence? Leave it to Alicia Keys’ best-hit where she not only belts out every song to perfection but strokes the bravery we all have buried inside us.

2. Woman Is a Word by Empress Of

With a suave rhythm, the lyrics to this song challenges our ideas about gender, perception, and validation about being a female.

3. Scars To Your Beautiful by Alessia Cara

Promoting a message of self-acceptance, “Scars To Your Beautiful” challenges beauty standards we see daily.

4. Independent Women, Part 1 by Destiny’s Child

Like other Destiny’s Child songs, these women hit on the point that no woman needs to wait on a man to come around to do things for them.

5. Run the World (Girls) by Beyonce

Destiny’s Child is great, but Queen Bey’s solo career has entrapped most of the female population. This may be an obvious choice to boost your femme-loving self, but this song went from hit song to an anthem for females everywhere.

6. Girls Like Girls by Hayley Kiyoko

For her entire career, Kiyoko has pushed for lesbian representation. “Girls Like Girls” is the perfect intersectional jam for both LGBT and feminist audiences. Most importantly, Kiyoko emphasizes that queerness has always been a part of our societies in her lyric “Girls like girls like boys do, nothing new.”

7. Respect by Aretha Franklin

What do women really want? R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Aretha Franklin doesn’t simply ask for her man’s respect, she demands it, a lesson we could all learn from.

8. I’m America by Cilver

Reflecting on both the good and the bad of America today, this song reminds us that we each have our own journey and sacrifices to make, but we should never forget who we are.

9. Confident by Demi Lovato

Confident women don’t let anyone undermine them, something that Demi Lovato reminds us of. Having confidence lets us choose our own identities and remember who we are no matter our strengths and weaknesses.

10. Rise by Katy Perry

Simply said, “Rise” is one of the most motivational songs. It’s about standing up and staying strong even when everything is against you.

11. Fuck Apologies by JoJo (feat. Wiz Khalifa)

What’s popular amongst female stereotypes? Apologizing… for everything! Being yourself and fighting feminine ideals is nothing to say ‘sorry’ for.

12. Titanium by David Guetta (feat. Sia)

This is the most listened to song about pain and self-motivated strength. Not only is singer Sia made of titanium, but we all are.

13. you should see me in a crown by Billie Eilish

Billie Eilish explores a dark tone that may intimidate some but should be embraced by women. Exuding confidence, Billie Eilish reminds us that we are all royalty that can command recognition of our femininity from others.

14. Bad Girls by M.I.A.

To support the movement for women in Saudi Arabia, M.I.A. created this song’s catchy slogan “Live fast, die young/ Bad girls do it well.” Predating change in Saudi law allowing women to drive, M.I.A. has long shown support for other women.

15. The Future is Female by Madame Gandhi

This track is packed with cold hard facts about how our society needs to respect females. Gandhi has stated that her performance goal is to make gender equality more relevant in our culture, and that’s as big as a feminist goal can be.

16. Sisters Are Doin’ It For Themselves by Eurythmics and Aretha Franklin

One of the greatest collaborations brings together the queen of soul – Aretha Franklin – and the groove of the Eurythmics. With their voices pouring into female liberation, we are told that “The ‘inferior sex’ got a new exterior” and who are we to question the two of the greatest singers in America.

17. Fighter by Christina Aguilera

“Fighter” acknowledges chaos and abuse, something that not many songs do. Instead of focusing singularly on the feeling of safety, this iconic 2002 single motivates females to face their fears and gain strength from their trauma.

18. Hijab (Wrap My Hijab) by Mona Haydar

Mona Haydar points out that it isn’t her, or any other Muslim woman’s responsibility, to educate others who are ignorant about hijabs and other aspects of the Muslim culture.

19. I Am Her by Shea Diamond

Shea Diamond is one of the most well-known trans-women in the music industry. Diamond reminds us that we need to remember who we are and can embrace our femme-identities with open arms. Those who think otherwise continue ignorance that “leaves a hell of a stench / The aroma lingers on generations unknown.”

20. Woman Power by Yoko Ono

While there reflection on our difficulties as women today, there is also a note on the past “two thousand years of fear and tyranny” brought from males onto the female population. Yoko Ono reflects on our current sociopolitical chaos and how difficult it is to be a woman during the Trump era through this chant-esque song.

Now that you know some songs to help you embrace your femme-self, go crank your speakers and remember to never change who you are. Happy Women’s History Month!

Courtney Good is a Senior at Wells College double majoring in Creative Writing and Anthropology. She is a first-generation college student. Usually, she can't go a day without doing yoga or using essential oils. In the future, she would like to be a travel writer or museum curator.
Wells Womxn