How to ask for a letter of recommendation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wellesley chapter.

As deadlines for summer internships draw ever nearer, you probably need to start requesting letters of recommendation from professors. It can be an awkward and stressful time for everyone. Here are some hints that may help you get the best letter possible:

1.     Ask someone who knows you
This may seem like common sense, but the people who know you the best write the best letters. These writers actually have something to say about your involvement in class and the school community; not just your grades. Although ideal, this may not always be an option. In that case, you should ask the person you feel most comfortable with.

2.     Give them a personal statement
Even if the professor knows you really well, it can be helpful to them if you provide them with a personal statement. Include why you are applying for the internship/program, why you are interested in the area and how your interest began. Pieces of information like this allow the recommender to gain insight so they can help you get what you want.

3.     Don’t wait until the last minute
Make sure you give the writer plenty of time to construct a good letter. They have lives too!

4.     If you must ask someone who doesn’t know you very well…
…then give them extra information in addition to a personal statement. Tell them what courses you have taken, which ones you have taken with them and your major. Attending class everyday is not enough. Professors have a lot of students in their classes so help them remember you.

5.     Understand the worst that can happen
I always get so nervous before asking for a letter of recommendation. It always helps me to remember that the worst that can happen is that the professor declines. That’s not such a bad outcome at all and it has never happened to me. The people you ask for letters from have also had to ask for the same thing from their professors. Everyone has been in the same boat at some point. Generally, professors want to help you and they understand your situation.

6.     Don’t demand, ask
When asking for a recommendation I always go in and say something like, “I have a big favor to ask of you.” Saying this can foster cooperation and make letter writing seem like less of an imposition.

With these hints you should be able to get a letter of recommendation. Good luck with summer applications!

Katie is a sophomore at Wellesley College majoring in Biological Sciences. In 2008 she attended J Camp, a journalism program sponsored by the Asian American Journalists Association, and in 2009 she received an Arizona Scholastic Journalist Award for Newspaper as the Editor-in-Chief of her high school paper. Someday she hopes to be a medical reporter. The Arizona native is still adjusting to frigid Massachusetts, but likes to be able to experience the phenomenon that is snow. She enjoys spending her free time volunteering and looks forward to returning home to play with her two German Shepherds.