Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Why It’s Finally Time To Abolish The Concept of Virginity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

The other day, I was procrastinating doing my homework by scrolling through TikTok when I saw a post that truly made me reconsider everything I’ve been taught as a woman. The video displays a woman named Cayce LaCorte responding to a basic parenting prompt: “Name something about the way you’ve raised your kids that people think is weird but you think is healthy.” I was not expecting the response LaCorte gave, but I am so glad she brought this to my attention (along with over 2 million others). 

This mother teaches her daughters that virginity does not exist. It may seem baffling at first; what’s wrong with just a simple term? But once I really listened to her argument, I was sold. In the video, LaCorte describes virginity as a “patriarchal concept used to control women” and explains that it “serves no purpose, other than making women feel bad about ourselves.” A person’s value does not depend on whether or not they have had sex before — as LaCorte says, “[sex] should always be a big deal,” and “has nothing to do with your first time.” 

Hearing this truly struck a chord with me. Off the top of my head, I can distinctly remember several times when women I know, including myself, were judged for being a virgin or not. I have even seen several people get their friends a cake with an exed-out “virgin” written on it to celebrate their first time, and I’m sure you have also seen this trend. This is not only unnecessary, but it is also foolish and childish.

Let me tell you this, my friends: the only purpose of the phrase “losing your virginity” is to elevate those who have had sex (I mean, really? A cake?), and it therefore undermines those who have not taken that step yet. Having sex for the first time is a big deal, but it isn’t a race to the finish line; the age at which you lose your virginity has nothing to do with how beautiful or appealing you are. Too often, people push the seriousness of sex aside because they are ashamed of still being a virgin.

Condoms on red background
Photo by Charles Deluvio from Unsplash
If you still don’t believe that the term “virginity” comes with intense pressures, perhaps the story I’m about to tell you will change your mind. It started when my friend (let’s call her Jo) expressed to me that she didn’t want to start university as a virgin. She wanted to find someone to have sex with, not because she had intense romantic or sexual desires, but because she wanted to “get it over with” before university began. Before I knew it, just a few weeks before the start of school, Jo had sex with someone she proceeded to never speak to again.

Now, don’t get me wrong: there’s nothing wrong with sleeping around or hooking up; some women find it empowering to do so. But there is something wrong with having sex for the first time for the sole purpose of “getting it done” — the only explanation for wanting to have sex in Jo’s case is that she was tired of being a virgin. That’s why she was satisfied with the experience; not because it was a particularly good one or because she enjoyed herself, but because she didn’t want to call herself a virgin anymore. But when she got to university, she realized that plenty of people haven’t taken that step yet — and that’s completely okay

Please, don’t give into society’s pressures. If there is one thing I’d like for you to take away from this article, it is this: have sex when you’re ready, not when society tells you it is acceptable, and teach others to do the same. Let’s save the cakes for birthday parties and erase the term “virgin” from our vocabularies.  

Abby is a National Writer for Her Campus and the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Waterloo. As part of the Wellness team, she covers topics related to mental health and relationships, but also frequently writes about digital trends, career advice, current events, and more. In her articles, she loves solving online debates, connecting with experts, and reflecting on her own experiences. She is also passionate about spreading the word about important cultural issues such as climate change and women’s rights; these are topics she frequently discusses in her articles. Abby began producing digital content at BuzzFeed, where she now has over 300 posts and 60 million overall views. Since then, she has also written for various online publications such as Thought Catalog, Collective World, and Unpacked. In addition to writing, Abby is also a UX and content designer; she most frequently spends her days building innovative, creative digital experiences. She has other professional experiences ranging from marketing to graphic design. When she’s not writing, Abby can be found reading the newest Taylor Jenkins Reid book, watching The Office, or eating pizza. She’s also been a dancer since she was four years old, and has most recently become obsessed with taking spin classes.