Wellness

Uplift yourself this spring (and the next!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

As the winter season comes to an end, many of us are looking forward to the arrival of spring, a time of renewal and new beginnings. During certain times of the year, I like to write a letter to my future self. It’s a great way to reflect on where you are now, and to give your future self a unique greeting from the past. This is an activity that can be done at any time of the year, but it’s especially fitting as we welcome the season of growth and change.

Writing a future message can be done either by creating your own physical letter, or through online software. There are a lot of free options online, where all you have to do is write in the box provided, enter your email, and select the date and year you want to send your letter on. Personally, I always go for the second option because it’s easier and can be done anytime, but writing a real letter adds that extra touch of personalization that makes for a great keepsake. Choose whatever works best for you!

When you start, find a quiet and comfortable space to sit down and reflect. I find it helpful to center your letter around a recent event or memory and base your general message on what you came to learn or realize over that memory. Any kind of perspective works great for this letter, and it doesn’t have to be limited to an experience either. You can write about how you’ve recently changed as a person or any big life updates in general. As you write, make sure to include tidbits of advice and insights for your future self based on these life lessons. 

Once you have covered your central topic, it’s always fun to write about your hopes and dreams, goals and aspirations, and your intentions for personal growth. Be honest with yourself, and don’t try to concentrate too much on making this section perfect — the only person reading this is you! Try to envision yourself in the future, and think about how you will feel when you read this letter again. Imagine the person you will become, the things you will have achieved, and the experiences you will have had.

If you choose to write a physical letter, seal it in an envelope, write the date on the front, and put it somewhere where you won’t be reminded to open it on a regular basis. Choose a date in the future when you will open the letter, such as the end of the spring season or the start of a new year. If you’re writing through an online source, I also recommend choosing a future date for sometime in the spring, since your future self will probably be looking for a source of reflection too. As for how far in the future to send it, ask yourself how the content of your letter could relate to your future experiences. I usually like to send my letters around 3 to 5 years in the future, but it’s totally up to you to decide. Why not aim for 6 months, 2 years, or even 10 years? 

As you prepare to put away the letter, take a moment to reflect on the changes and growth that you hope to achieve in the coming months and years. Use this letter as a reminder of your intentions, and keep it in a safe place where you can revisit it in the future.

As you embrace the rejuvenating feelings that spring brings, take this time to reflect on your personal journey and set goals for the future. Wouldn’t it be amazing to have a letter written from your past self right about now? It’s time to start now — give the gift of yourself to the person you’ve become in the future!

Doreen Shtylla

Waterloo '27

Hi! My name is Doreen, and I'm in the AFM program at uWaterloo. I love to read, dance, paint, play volleyball, and hang out with friends. I'm excited to contribute some great articles, happy reading!