This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Amazon Prime’s new horror comedy, Totally Killer, is a total killer. Featuring Kiernan Shipka and Olivia Holt, the movie centres around a small town with a dark past. Thirty-five years before the present day, a masked killer — also known as the Sweet Sixteen Killer — murdered three young girls, Tiffany, Marisa, and Heather, on the evening of their sixteenth birthday. 

Fast forward to 2023, teenager Jamie Hughes decides to go to a concert with her friend on Halloween night. Her mother, Pam warns her of the dangers, since the Sweet Sixteen Killer has not yet been caught. The night takes a chaotic and tragic turn, resulting in Jamie time travel back to 1987 — the year of the killer’s original spree. 

Jamie is intent on stopping him before he can even begin. The entire movie is filled with jumpscares, laughs and references to classic slashers. Plus, the set design and costumes completely immerse you in the 80s, and not the cliche 80s we’re used to seeing in modern film. No flashy neon colours or tacky outfits, but rather an understated approach that appears more realistic to the audience. 

While this movie doesn’t offer anything entirely new in comparison to recent horror comedies I’ve seen in the last few years, like Freaky and Happy Death Day, it does a great job at blending horror nostalgia with fresh twists. If you’re looking for something spooky to watch this halloween season, check out Totally Killer on Amazon Prime!

Hi my name is Meera! I am a first year AFM (Accounting and Financial Management) student at the University of Waterloo.