Top 5 Coffee Shops in the KW Region

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

In honour of today (Wednesday, November 8th) being National Cappuccino Day, here is an article that lists some of the cozy little coffee shops in KW. If you’re a caffeine addict or even just enjoy a cup once in awhile, check out the 5 best spots you need to visit!

#1 Death Valley’s Little Brother

This is one of my personal favourites! DVLB is a great place to go and unplug – literally, there’s no outlets. I’m kidding, if you want to bring your laptop to get some work do then go for it, but seriously make sure it’s fully charged first. This spot has a great selection of coffee, teas, pastries, and even some booze if you’ve had a long day! Be sure to check this place out and their little jackelope friend.

Location: 84 King Street North, Waterloo, ON

#2 Settlement Co.

This is a nice spot to go if you want to feel more energized. The walls are filled with greenery that makes the place just feel more alive. Anytime I’ve gone there I’ve always had a positive experience. The staff was friendly and the drinks were delicious. Settlement Co. is a great place to study or meet up with a friend for a yummy drink or even a bite to eat.

Locations:

Waterloo – 23 King St N, Waterloo, ON

Kitchener – 1 Victoria St S, Kitchener, ON

#3 Matter of Taste

Two is better than one! Matter of Taste recently opened a new location and it’s nice and close to UW. This is one of the latest spots on my list and I know lots of coffee addicts that can vouch for it. There’s lots of variety within their drink and lunch menu. You can even grab a baked good or a light breakfast there, too.

Locations:

Waterloo – 451 Phillip Street, Waterloo, ON

Kitchener – 115 King St W, Kitchener, ON

#4 Smile Tiger

Comfy couches and great coffee, what more could one ask for? Smile Tiger is conveniently located next to the Kitchener train station. If you have some time to spare between your travels, this spot is an awesome place to kill some time. The staff is always friendly and they have a nice selection on their menu. Along with some awesome coffee blends you can buy to take home, too!

Location: 100 Ahrens St W, Kitchener, ON

#5 One King North

New to the scene is One King North! Though, it isn’t like any ordinary coffee shop. The building is a renovated 1900’s historic bank! They have claimed their space as grounds to grow and inspire the entrepreneurial community in Waterloo. Aside from awesome work spaces, including board rooms that were previously bank vaults, I’ve heard they make a mean cup of coffee, too.

Location: 1 King Street Waterloo, ON

Photos courtesy of UW Professor, Karin Schmidlin.

Follow her on Instagram for more awesome photos and great coffee shop suggestions – @schmidlinkarin

Third year Global Business and Digital Arts Student at UW! Dog Lover. Wine Enthusiast. Designer. 
Stephanie is a University of Waterloo alumni. In her spare time, she loves filming and creating YouTube videos. Check out her YouTube channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/Bizzarosmeszaros