‘Tis the Season to Give Back (Student Budget-Friendly)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

It’s that time of the year again.  School is over and you’ve made it through the term (in one way or another).  Exams are underway, you may be sleep deprived (but that’s what caffeine is for) and you might just be feeling like…

Don’t you worry, there is a light at the end of the tunnel!  Winter break is not far away and it’s almost Christmas!  Can you hear the sounds of carols and bells?  Can you smell those freshly baked cookies? Do you see that untouched patch of fluffy snow?

Okay, maybe not quite yet.  What you’re probably thinking about is what presents you should buy this year.  While we might be busy thinking about gifts to buy for our family, friends and loved ones, we also need to remember that Christmas and the holidays is a time for giving.  Instead of the usual gift guide for your ‘crazy cat lady friend’ or ‘Doctor Who obsessed friend’, below are 6 budget-friendly ways you can give back and spread joy to everyone this season.

1. Donate to a food bank

Donate some food to your local food bank or any local organizations that are giving out food hampers for the holidays.  If you want to get your friends involved, you can host a mini food drive at your holiday party and tell your guest to bring some non-perishable food items with them.  Some food banks may be accepting perishable food items as well so it’s best to do a bit of research and check on the organization’s website.

Source

2. Give your gently used clothes a second home

Gather up all the clothes that you don’t wear anymore and donate it to your local Salvation Army, homeless shelter or Goodwill.  You can also donate any gently used coats, blankets, hats, gloves and scarves.  There are also various local organizations that have a clothing drives during the holidays.  Just make sure the items you donate are in a good wearable condition.

Source

3. Donate your time and volunteer

There are many different organizations that need volunteers to support holiday events, fundraisers and community meals.  Places that need volunteers include shelters, hospitals, events at malls and community centers, churches, food banks and community kitchens.  Let these places know early that you want to volunteer for them so they have time to coordinate a position.

Source

4. Visit a senior center or nursing home

Bring joy to seniors by visiting them during the holidays.  If you like to sing, you can contact a local senior center or nursing home and ask if you can go in and sing some Christmas carols.  If you play an instrument, bring it along too.  You can even bring your family or friends with you—the more the merrier.

Source

5. Direct your gift towards someone else

If people ask you what you want for Christmas, consider suggesting that instead of giving you a present this year, they can donate to your favourite cause.

Source

6. Bake cookies

If you like to bake then why not bake some cookies for your family, friends, classmates, teachers, etc.  You can organize a cookie swap with your friends and bake extras to give to others.  Some recipes you can try with your friends are: sugar cookies, chewy molasses cookies, frosted eggnog cookies, thumbprint cookies, banana pecan shortbread, chai spice snickerdoodles and orange spice holiday cookies—just to name a few.

Source

Spreading joy during the Christmas and holiday season isn’t that complicated.  The most infectious and simple thing you can do is smile!

Christie is a junior at the University of Waterloo, studying her bachelor's of Global Business and Digital Arts with a French minor.  She loves being outdoors and being active, traveling and DIYs.  It's not a secret that she's a foodie at heart.  You can often find her at cafés or in the kitchen cooking something up.  Follow her daily food posts on Instagram @chrissychows
University of Waterloo Honours French and Business 2019, Her Campus Waterloo Campus Correspondent, Social Media Guru, Tech enthusiast.  Fluent in emoji, HTML and CSS. Avid reader of Refinery 29, Buzzfeed, Mashable & Tech Crunch. Follow on twitter @jena_tweets