Tips and Tricks for the End of Term

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

It is November, and life is hectic. My to-do list for the next few weeks is frighteningly long.

How will I find time to write all of those essays, practice for that presentation, or study for those exams? What about the volunteering and work that I have on top of that? Of course, I know that everything will get done, despite the stress that it induces. I’m well into my sixth university term, and so I am here to share a few tips and tricks that have helped me through essay and exam season.

1) Eat well.

Although meal prep takes time, it is well worth it. With your backpack stocked full of healthy meals and snacks for a long day on campus, you will be less likely to splurge on an unhealthy snack. A balanced diet will helps me stay energized and focused throughout the day.  

2) (Try) to get enough sleep!

Getting adequate sleep is so difficult to manage when deadlines are near. However, from personal experience, I know that a good night’s sleep is essential for me to be at my full capacity throughout the day.  

3) Drink lots of water.

Once again, this will aid in your overall physical and mental health, which is critical for essay and/or exam season. I bring a reusable water bottle everyday to campus with me, which I can then fill repeatedly throughout the day.

4) Drink coffee.

This is not the healthiest habit of mine, but a good cup of coffee can give me that extra edge on some of those more stressful days…or everyday.

5) Breathing deep and meditating.

I find that taking just five or ten minutes to slow down and focus on my breath can ease some stress. There are a lot of great meditation apps that you can download for a guided mediation if you are interested.

6) Go for a walk.

Take a break, stand up, and move. Go outside, stretch your legs, and get some fresh air. You will return to your books and laptops re-energized.

7) Make a list.

This help’s me compartmentalize what I need to do, and makes it seem more attainable to finish. Not to mention that crossing an item off the list is extremely satisfying!

8) Talk it over with other people.

Talk to your friends, professors, roommates, family, TA’s, academic advisors, or anyone who will listen. Explain what you have to do and why you are stressed about it. There are people who are there for you and just knowing that is helpful.

Good luck with all your essays and exams!

Stephanie is a University of Waterloo alumni. In her spare time, she loves filming and creating YouTube videos. Check out her YouTube channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/Bizzarosmeszaros