Prateeksha Ravi: Lovely Leader

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

1. What do you do as the club community coordinator?My role basically involved me bringing together the Feds clubs on campus and building some unity amongst them. I held office hours where I would interact with students from different clubs in answering any questions they had whether it was regarding an event, signing AV forms, getting a new club started or inquiries about policies. I also put out a monthly newsletter with different events/activities that various clubs ran which was circulated to all the clubs and also put on the Feds website. I also began a new initiative this month where I hosted a Clubs Talent Showcase to give all the social clubs a chance to show off their talents and even recruit members. It was a lot of fun and super exciting!

2. How did you get this position?I saw this position appear on LEADS and I found it really exciting as I had worked previously with Feds in different roles. It allowed me to bring a lot of my past knowledge and experience and most importantly, I got to work with people, which I absolutely love doing!

3. What is the most valuable lesson you’ve learned from this experience?The most valuable lesson I learned from this experience is to put your ideas into action if you think they are worth it, and not to just leave it as an idea. The staff who work for Feds are always so encouraging and supportive that it made my job a lot easier and a lot more fun! They are always looking for new ideas and new things to do so when I brought about some of my ideas, they immediately helped me create an action plan as to how I can make it happen rather than just continue to build the ideas.

4. What is your biggest accomplishment as the club community coordinator for this year?If I may say so, I think the Club Talent Showcase was one of the bigger accomplishments this year. It was a bit difficult getting clubs to participate at first. After a bit of follow up, we had quite a good turn out with a variety of performances from hip hop to the rubiks cube club to some a capella groups! We hope that in the future we are able to get some more participation and a bigger turnout as well.

5. How will this position and what you’ve learned help your future?I have learned to work with different levels of people, coordinate events on a large scale and work with multiple groups to make things happen. In the real world, it is important to have strong communication skills whether it is in person or via e-mail and I am going to have to work with all kinds of people – some who I may or may not get along with. This position gave me a little taste of that and I could not be more grateful for it. I learned a lot from my supervisor, my peers and just observing everyone within the organization!

6. Favourite thing about UW?The countless opportunities! UW has so much to offer, something different for every single one of us and it is almost impossible to count the number of opportunities and areas for development that this university has to offer us. It is up to us as students to be open to accepting of them while also stepping out of our comfort zones and trying new things. UW is a place for us to be well educated but also a place where we can grow both personally and professionally. All the resources are available to us, we just have to use them!

7. Any advice to give students who are thinking about going into a leadership position?Go for it! Even if you have never stepped into a leadership position before, this is the best place to start because you are in a supportive and encouraging environment where people will do anything possible to help you succeed and become a good leader. I guarantee you that you will feel a sense of satisfaction when you take on a leadership position knowing that you have made a positive difference, even if it is something very tiny. After all, what might appear small to us might actually be big to the community. You will also get a chance to learn a lot about yourself, find that potential that you didn’t know you really had. I would highly recommend you to take on any leadership position and you can start small – whether it is taking the lead on a group project, becoming an Orientation leader or joining a club!

8. What are some other passions of yours?

I enjoy photography, anything to do with space or astronomy, listening to music, volunteering and most importantly being around people!

9. What is the motto you live by?Hakuna Matata – It means no worries :)

I'm a fourth year student at the University of Waterloo currently enrolled in the Global Business & Digital Arts program. I have a passion for UX, social media, writing, marketing and networking!