Wellness

Period must haves: Four products that will change your relationship with your period!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

From “that time of the month”, to “shark week”, to “a visit from Mother Nature” — whatever you choose to refer to it as — a period (or menstrual cycle, if we want to continue playing the name game while being scientifically accurate) is an experience many of us uterus-havers will encounter at one point or another. Some people feel little to no uncomfortable symptoms during their time of the month, aside from, well, the loss of blood and uterine tissue. Others, however, who encounter their monthly visit from good ol’ aunt flow, experience bloating, moodiness, or cramping, and sometimes, all at the same time. It’s me — I’m others.

My period and I have built quite the relationship, from getting my first period at the age of 14 in my grandmother’s bathroom before school one morning, to being a 26-year-old mother of three, one could say that my cycle and I have been through the ringer and back. Although I’m no medical expert, I believe that I have finally narrowed down a “period routine” that has helped me in not only combatting some of those less-than-pleasant side effects, but has also allowed me to strengthen my relationship with my body.

1.      A portable heating pad

When it comes to period cramps, I am a wimp. My cramps are horrendous, and by day two of my period (which typically lasts a week in total), I am almost incapacitated by them. I do not find that medication really helps to fully alleviate my cramps, and even during the rare times that it does offer some relief, it takes far too long for the medication to kick in. The most effective relief I have found has been that of a heating pad, but this is not the most practical option when you are running to and from classes, sitting in lectures, or, in my case, also parenting. Cue “a wearable heating pad”; it’s basically a belt that is a heating pad. Some options even contain various vibration settings, which basically feels like a little warm deep tissue massage for your uterus. Divine!

2.      Menstrual cups

After prematurely removing one too many “dry” tampons (ick) and soaking through too many “super absorbent” pads that promised to last 8 hours, I decided that the time had come to search for a product that was a little more durable. Enter the menstrual cup. Although menstrual cups can be rather intimidating at first, once I had “mastered” the cup insertion and removal process (it took me about a cycle or two to really nail it down), there was no turning back. Depending on your flow, they can be left in for up to 12 hours, with mine averaging at about 4-8. Amazing! When I first started trying cups, the only one available in Canada was the DivaCup, however, since then, the cup market has really broadened its horizons! My favourites would have to be the DivaCup, the Flex cup, and the Nixit (although this is technically considered a reusable menstrual disk, not a cup). These brands all have thorough instructions on how to wear and care for your cup on their websites for anyone who is curious!

3.      Reusable period underwear

Another absolute game-changer! Regardless of the collection method you use, period underwear can act as a backup method, as well as a collection method in its own right. Like other collection methods, they are available in a wide array of absorbency levels, as well as different styles and colour options. They are also some of the most comfortable and cozy pairs of underwear that I own. The two brands that I am most familiar with are Aerie by American Eagle, and Knix; both offer similar absorbency and comfort levels.

4.      Sex toys

Last but not least, and if we’re being honest, my favourite product on the list: sex toys. Now, I understand how one may inquire exactly how a sex toy can be considered a period product, but hear me out — not only do orgasms feel amazing, they’ve also been proven to have amazing benefits for a person’s body. Orgasms can help with lowering stress levels, improving sleep quality, and, if you guessed helping to alleviate period cramps, you would be absolutely correct! Every individual is different, and everyone has different inclinations for what kinds of sexual play or activity they feel comfortable engaging in during their time of the month (or anytime really), so the type of toy that can be used is very much dependent on individual preference. That being said, my two favourite toys are the LeWand Petite massager (bonus  — you can also purchase differently textured silicone covers for the head of the massager, which can be a real time saver when it comes to cleaning the toy afterwards), and the Lelo Sona Cruise 2. Both sex toys are external toys that provide pleasure outside of the body through vibration, or in the case of the Sona, suction as well. These are definitely the pricier items on this list, but there are more cost-effective and equally pleasurable options available on many sex toy websites (i.e. PinkCherry and LoveHoney). No matter what toy you use, and no matter the time of the month, remember to clean the toy before and after you use it.

Hey everyone! I am currently enrolled in the Social Development Studies (SDS) Program here at the University of Waterloo. When not working on assignments, I am definitely with my kids, ingesting obnoxious levels of caffeine and sending voice messages to literally anyone who will listen.