Old-Fashioned Hobbies: How to Truly Relax This Reading Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Even without classes on Reading Week, it can be difficult to figure out how to relax after being in a routine for half a semester. So, how do you do it? Try aging yourself a couple of decades…

My roommate and I found that typically old-fashioned hobbies are some of the only things that truly give us some hardcore relaxation. We came to this conclusion whilst sipping Earl Grey Tea in our slippers and, of course, crocheting.

Crocheting – It’s Cooler Than it Seems

Crocheting, as random as it might seem, calms your mind and focuses your attention. The only thing to worry about is looping the next grannie square. True, whatever I’m attempting to create ends up looking like a tangled, unregulated mess of yarn but, nevertheless, I’m de-stressing! Even more entertaining is the thought of gifting the scarf, blanket or doily you’ve brought into being to a friend or family member. An added bonus is that, even if your crocheted production is sub-par like all of mine are, it’s hard for anyone to reject something homemade – am I right?  

(Photo by Kelly Sikkema)

Be Like the British – Drink Tea

Continuing our journey back in time, try sipping steeped tea when you’re not rushing anywhere. The British tradition of taking afternoon tea is brilliant (it’s typically taken at 4 p.m, but obviously it doesn’t matter, just a fun fact for you). Not to mention their accent, but that’s another blog for another day. As a name drop, I recommend the no nonsense Cardamom French Toast or Forever Nuts from David’s Tea. Simply delightful, if I may be so bold.

(Photo by Sweet Ice Cream Photography)

The Over-Suggested Baking Hobby

This list would not be complete without mentioning the hobby of baking. It sounds complicated and you’ve heard it before, but I have found that you reap more rewards baking a dozen cupcakes at home rather than buying a 4-pack from the convenience store. And, sticking with our theme, it gives you something different to do during your week off from routine. Most importantly, after half an hour or so, you’ve created something you can eat. It’s a win-win situation.

(Photo by Vita Marija Murenaite)

So, if you’re having trouble taking a breath and deciding what to do with your time – decide to destress! Be like my roommate and I, and go from age 21 to 71 as you crochet your next ugly christmas sweater while diving deep into a fresh cup of Organic Cream of Earl Grey (another classic from our boy David).

Stephanie is a University of Waterloo alumni. In her spare time, she loves filming and creating YouTube videos. Check out her YouTube channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/Bizzarosmeszaros