My Top Books From 2023 That You Have to Read This Year!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

As a self-proclaimed book connoisseur, I have read many different works from a vast array of genres and authors alike. With that being said, I’ve noticed that as time goes on, it’s becoming increasingly difficult to find a novel whose plotline and characters are one-of-a-kind. Seeing as how it is a new year, and we have all been bombarded with messages of “New year, new me”, I feel that it would only be fitting to kick off the new year with book recommendations for some truly standout novels that will really elevate your book collection and broaden your reading horizons for the rest of the year!

Demon Copperhead, By Barbara Kingsolver

Out of these recommendations, this novel is by far the lengthiest of them all and the most emotionally engaging. The novel follows the life of a young man named Damon Fields, who is strictly referred to as Demon Copperhead, due to his rougher mannerisms and coppery hair. His life is filled with many heartbreaks and hardships, but his resilience is commendable and awe-inducing. In between trying to stop myself from sobbing and feeling frustrated every time Demon faced yet another letdown, I found myself being woefully inspired by how hard he worked to overcome any obstacle thrown his way. He is definitely a character I try to channel whenever I feel like the troubles in my own life feel all-consuming. Although there are plenty of books on the market that tackle the hardships associated with poverty, I feel that the way in which Barabara Kingsolver has written this novel brings such an air of life to Demon that there is something different here than in other novels of similar plots. I do feel the need to include that there is a lot of emotionally taxing subject matter throughout the entirety of the novel, so if you’re looking for a book that is a little lighter in nature, that is something to definitely consider.

Motherthing, By Ainslie Hogarth

I can confidently say that I have never, ever, ever read a novel with a plot like this one before, and I feel rather confident that you haven’t either. This novel is hard to explain without giving too much away, and any description of it may unintentionally dissuade you from giving it a try. What I can say is that it’s fast-paced, at times gory, and oddly humorous. Ainslie Hogarth has truly written a novel that stands out in its own right; the language and metaphors she uses throughout are so cleverly tied into the novel’s twist — so good!

The Secret History, By Donna Tart

I don’t know about you, but if you’re anything like me then your adoration for fantasy probably began with works like Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, Lord of The Rings — classics within their own rights. After immersing myself in such epic adventure-filled storylines as a child, I have been on a mission in my adult years to find a novel or series that delivers that same kind of punch. Enter Donna Tart’s The Secret History. This novel follows a group of elite students who attend what appears to be a prestigious college, however, they’re soon swept into the rather dark world of ancient Greek mythological rituals and practices. It’s difficult to find fantasy or mythological-themed novels that are directed at an adult audience — this book is the answer to that prayer! Donna Tart was able to create a world of dark myth through compelling character dynamics in a beautifully written novel.

If We Were Villains, By M.L. Rio

This is truly such a one-of-a-kind piece of literature, so much so that this novel was my initial inspiration behind wanting to write a book recommendation article for Her Campus to begin with! Although every book on this list has a piece of my heart, if you want to get your hands on just one of these recommendations, I would highly suggest it be this one. The novel is an ode to the world of theatre, and the plot is broken up into five separate acts. It follows a prestigious group of theatre students, and within their stories are elements of aggressive (at times fatal) competition, jealousy, and desire to be the best, while somehow still proving to be an unexpected heartfelt and tragic love story. I can wholeheartedly say that aside from this book, I’ve yet to read a novel that is so thespian in nature yet modern enough to have relatable characters. Such a fantastic read!

Punk 57, By Penelope Douglas

The smut genre is one of those if you love it, you love it, if you hate it, you hate it — there’s no in-between. I happen to be one of the people who enjoys a good smut read every now and then, however, I find that a lot of the smuttier novels contain very similar plots, and there isn’t really anything new. Punk 57 blew up on BookTok last year, so naturally, I was intrigued — and it did not disappoint. Don’t get me wrong, I do think it was a little cheesy but in a very digestible way. The smut scenes deliver all the spice you could ever want (especially the truck scene, #sweating). Surprisingly, the chemistry between the two characters is developed in a way I haven’t seen before, and it’s also funny. Bonus, it’s spawned some cool throwback playlists on Spotify.

ExtraOrdinary: A Villains Story, By V.E. Schwab

This is the shortest book on my recommendation list and differs from the others, as this is the only graphic novel. I have read my fair share of graphic novels in the past; however, they’re not something that I typically reach for. This book is a companion to the Vicious Series by V.E. Schwab, although the graphic novel can be read as a standalone novel — the beginning of the book recaps the main events of the series, making it very easy for the reader to understand what is happening in the plot. The series is about individuals who discover they have powers that range from things like the ability to heal from virtually any wound in a matter of seconds to the ability to see how others will pass in their reflections such as the protagonist of the book Charlotte has. I would recommend reading the whole series, but this graphic novel is a quick read that can be easily squeezed in between assignments and late-night study sessions for sure!

Hey everyone! I am currently enrolled in the Social Development Studies (SDS) Program here at the University of Waterloo. When not working on assignments, I am definitely with my kids, ingesting obnoxious levels of caffeine and sending voice messages to literally anyone who will listen.