This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

I’ve been a Swiftie since the ripe age of eight when I had my first iPod Nano and my dad downloaded Teardrops on my Guitar and Our Song for me to listen to. Fast-forward to the present, I’ve pretty much had T-Swift as the soundtrack to my entire childhood — witnessing all her eras unfold in real time. 1989 holds a special place in my heart; it marked Taylor’s grand entrance into the pop realm, coinciding with my own big shift as I packed up for a new city and braved a brand-new school.

The release of 1989 (Taylor’s Version) was very much a nostalgic experience for me, as it brought back so many memories of an incredibly formative time in my life. I can remember the exact moment I heard Blank Space for the first time in the car at a Tim Hortons drive-through in 2014 and being certain she was saying “Starbucks Lovers”. This was also a phase in my life where I was into watching music videos, and this era is home to some of Taylor’s most iconic music videos of all time. The Bad Blood video in particular, which featured so many legendary celebrities, was one I watched over and over. Listening to the new and improved tracks brought all these golden memories rushing back.

1989 TV did not disappoint. Most of the re-recordings are much crisper than the originals, and I think that they’re an improvement while still bringing the same emotion that the original tracks did. However, there are a couple of tracks that fall a bit flat for me when comparing them to their 2014 counterparts. Style, for example, is one that I think was not improved on the rerecording. There’s something about the backing track of the new version that just doesn’t hit the same.

I think the vault tracks are some of the best that have been released so far. They all complement the rest of the album so well, but I also feel like they are almost reminiscent of songs from Taylor’s 2022 album Midnights. My personal favourite vault track is Is It Over Now?; it gives me the same nostalgic feeling I have with all the original tracks, even though it’s brand new. I also feel as though it’s got a similar vibe to some of my favourite vault tracks from Red (Taylor’s Version), like Nothing New and All Too Well (10 Minute Version).

Now, all eyes are on Reputation TV and Debut TV to look forward to. I’ve been hearing lots of theories going around, and most people seem to think Reputation will be the next re-recording. I really hope that’s true, as it’s one of my all-time favourite albums! Whatever comes next, I’m sure Taylor is going to absolutely blow us all away!

Liz Beach

Waterloo '26

Hi, I'm Liz and I'm a third year Geography and Environmental Management student at the University of Waterloo! I love to work out, crochet, and cook, and I am also a huge true crime fanatic.