My Online School Morning Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Our days can feel so unstructured compared to this time last year, with so many of us doing school online. I’ve tried to make the most of this flexibility by arranging my mornings just the way I like! Let me tell you how I’ve been spending the first few hours of each day. 

1. I set my alarm for 8 hours of sleep

I don’t tie myself to the same wakeup time every day.  If I was up late studying, I’ll set my alarm a little later.  If I get to bed on time, I’ll get up earlier.  Either way, I give myself grace and allow myself to enjoy this flexibility. 

2. I make good decisions first thing

As soon as I roll out of bed, I open my window for fresh air, drink some water, make my bed, and give thanks for a new day! I don’t do these things in a particular order, but I make sure they’re the first things I do. Don’t underestimate the impact of these small actions. 

3. I eat breakfast (and not in my pj’s) 

They always say breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I’m not sure if that’s true, but I love starting my day with a big mug of tea and a bowl of oatmeal. I try to be dressed for breakfast, because otherwise, it’s too easy to stay in my pj’s for most of the day! 

4. I get my mind in the right place

My faith is a huge priority for me, and it impacts every part of my life. My morning always includes prayer, reading my Bible, and reflection. Whether you prefer to journal, read a book, or just spend some time thinking, get your mind prepared to take on the day! 

5. I make a list of achievable goals

Lastly, I grab a sticky note and plan my day! (To be honest, I also make a second cup of tea at this point…) For me, that means writing down 5-8 main tasks that will realistically fit into my workday. This helps me to get things done without feeling overwhelmed. 

Then I head to my desk and get started on my online school day!  I hope you enjoyed reading about my current morning routine and got some inspiration to develop your own routine!   

Alex Veenstra

Waterloo '24

Hi friends! I'm a Business and English student in my third year at UWaterloo. My passions include drinking tea, finding awesome thrifted clothes, and getting connected around campus!
Hi there! My name is Caitlyn Gellatly and I am the Campus Correspondent and President for the Waterloo Chapter of Her Campus! I am a Digital Arts Communication and International Studies student in my 4th year. I love to read, write, cook and spend time with friends, family, and sorority sisters!