Style

My favourite Halloween Costumes seen at Waterloo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Although I love the annual Spirit Halloween trip, I find that homemade costumes always have my heart. Here are my favourite mostly homemade Halloween costumes that I’ve seen in Waterloo and how you can recreate them next year!

My Favourite Duo Costumes

1. Rapunzel and Flynn Rider
halloween
Original photo by Daiphy Lee

Rapunzel: A crown, a purple dress, and a purple corset all can be found on Amazon.

Flynn Rider: A white button-up, blue vest, and brown bottoms complete the outfit.

Optional Extra: Blonde hair extensions, fake flowers, and a pascal stuffed animal.

1. Judy Hopps and Nick Wild from Zootopia
Halloween Costumes
Original photo by Daiphy Lee

It was fairly easy to put together. The green t-shirt, tie, fox ears, and fox tail were all from Value Village. The bunny ears, bunny tail, and toy gun were from the dollar store. Everything else was found in our closet.

My Favourite Trio Costumes

1. Three Blind Mice
Halloween Costumes
Original photo by Daiphy Lee

The costumes consist of 3 people with black dark sunglasses, mouse ears, and sticks (can be the handle of a broom).

1. Kiss Marry Kill
Halloween Costumes
Original photo by Daiphy Lee

Kiss: Red corset and red heart sunglasses. 

Marry: White top, white veil, and a white bouquet

Kill: All-black outfit with a toy knife.

Optional Extra: Kiss is covered with red lip kisses. Kill has blood splatters all over. 

My Favourite Group Costumes

1. Mystery Inc. Gang (from left to right: Fred, Daphne, Shaggy, Scooby Doo, Scrappy Doo, and Velma)
Halloween Costumes
Original photo by Daiphy Lee

Everything was found in our closets but the dog ears we found at a Halloween stand at the mall. This group costume can be easily brought to life when the correct colours are worn for each character.

1. Greek Gods (from left to right: Hades, Zeus, Aphrodite, Artemis, Poseidon)
halloween costume
Original photo by Daiphy Lee

The boys just wore their bed sheets, and we bought a garland of gold leaves from HomeSense to accessorize.

1. Mr. WorldWide… Pitbulls
halloween
Original photo by Daiphy Lee

The costume consists of suits, sunglasses, bald caps, and a group of friends to join you!

1. Mario Party (from left to right : Toad, Toadette, Waluigi, Wario, Luigi, Bullet, Princess Peach, Mario)
Halloween Costumes
Original photo by Daiphy Lee

Toad & Toadette: We sewed circles onto our hats to give off the mushroom head look. The shirts were just t-shirts from Michael’s that we had cut, and the bottoms were already in our closets. 

Waluigi & Wario: Overalls/jeans with suspenders + coloured T-shirts corresponding to their characters and the hats were found at the dollar store.

Luigi & Mario: Overalls/jeans with suspenders + coloured T-shirts corresponding to their characters and hats bought from Amazon.

Bullet: Dressed in all-black

Princess Peach: The costume was bought online, however, you can easily recreate it with a pink dress, gold crown, and white gloves. People may think you’re Aurora, but with your Mario Party around you, everyone will know you’re the princess of the Mushroom Kingdom.

Daiphy Lee

Waterloo '27

Daiphy Lee (she/her) is in her 1B Term of Honors Mathematics with a minor in Computing at the University of Waterloo. She is passionate about mental health awareness. You may be able to find her struggling to climb fake rocks at the Grand River Rocks Gym in Waterloo.