Culture > Digital

Multiplayer Competitive Games to Bond with Your Friends!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

After a fun reading week, midterms have been waiting for us. I’m pretty sure everyone spent most of their time studying by themselves or with their study groups. Anyhow, it was a hard week so don’t forget to pat yourself on the back for the effort you’ve given!

If you don’t feel like going out of your room due to midterms draining your energy, I’ve got several games to suggest so you can keep in touch and bond with your friends — without leaving your room and for free!

1. Valorant

Being one of the most popular PC games, Valorant is a 5v5 character-based tactical shooter. With many agents (or characters) to choose from, Valorant is a very fun game to play! Valorant’s dynamic gameplay blends the excitement of first-person shooters with a unique emphasis on team coordination and precise gunplay. They offer several game modes, so you can choose how serious you can be in the game. What I love the most is that the agents are from different countries and cultures, which makes me more immersed in the game since I’m always anticipating new agents that are going to be introduced. Playing Valorant with friends makes you experience many feelings — from frustration to laughter!

1. Mobile Legends: Bang Bang

Mobile Legends: Bang Bang (MLBB) is the ultimate multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) experience right at your fingertips. This game is not just a mobile sensation; it’s a global gaming phenomenon that offers quick action-packed matches, perfect for a quick adrenaline boost during your busy day. With a vast roster of heroes, each with their own unique skills and abilities, MLBB allows you to immerse yourself in a world of endless possibilities and strategic depth. Whether you have just 15 minutes to spare or an entire afternoon to dive into thrilling 5v5 matches, MLBB delivers intense team-based competition that is as satisfying as it is strategic. Moreover, the game’s various modes cater to all preferences, from shorter, high-octane brawls to more extended, strategic showdowns.

1. PUBG Mobile

PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds has become one of the most popular battle royale games, and now it’s available on your mobile phones! You can team up to form a 4-person team. The game doesn’t have characters to choose from but you can customise their clothes and other equipment. The adrenaline rush of parachuting onto an island, scavenging for resources, and outwitting your opponents is unmatched. I’ve gotten jumpscares from this game, scared that there might be another team creeping up all just to find out that it was the noises I make on my own!

These are my favorite competitive games, and I hope you love them. It does get addicting at some point, but I made playing these games as a reward every time I finish an assignment! I personally think it’s a great way to still make time to play games without jeopardising my academics.

University of Waterloo Exchange Student for Fall 2023. Interested in online games, anime, and sports.