Mikaela Gossman­n-Bond, Founder of Cosmetics Startup Shakespeare’s Bathtub

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

What program and semester are you in?
I’m in my 3B term and doing a BSc in Psychology with a joint Honours English degree.

What inspired you to create Shakespeare’s Bathtub, and how did you come up with the name?
About half a year ago, I became interested in what my cosmetics were made of, realizing I’d neglected to really think about it before. I’m a typical science student in that I simply adore reading through empirical journal articles, and much of my free time last semester was spent reading up on cosmetics ingredients and their effect on human health. I was let down to see so many of my favourite brands using ingredients that were phototoxic, irritating, sensitizing, carcinogenic or otherwise harmful. There had to be better stuff out there, so I kept looking. Not long after, I came across resources for crafting cosmetics small­scale. A desire to make safe products for myself quickly grew into a desire to share them with others. Wanting to share, though, meant also learning a bit about business. As for the name, I wanted to create a brand that was fun and unique but also connected to my personality. After going through pages and pages of ideas, the title, “Shakespeare’s Bathtub” popped into my head. I’ve loved Shakespeare’s sonnets and plays since I was a child and the idea just stuck!

All of your products are 100% vegan; are you a vegan yourself?
I’ve been some kind of vegan/vegetarian for the past six years, but my motivation and dietary restrictions have morphed over time. While I started in high school for moral reasons, I now focus mostly on personal health. I currently do not eat white or red meat or any dairy products, but do eat eggs and sustainably­sourced fish. Still, I have many friends who are full­out vegans and I make sure all my products are 100% vegan so that they’re acceptable for anybody who wants to enjoy them.

What’s your favourite product that you’ve created for Shakespeare’s Bathtub?
I love Shakespeare’s Bathtub Aromatic Bath Oils! Long, hot baths are my favourite way of relaxing after a day of schoolwork. Being able to fill the room with layered scents and fill the tub with softening oils makes me feel like I’m in a spa every time.

How do you balance school and working on your business?
The joy of Shakespeare’s Bathtub is that it doesn’t feel like work for me. I enjoy every bit: designing the recipes, blending the products, wrapping the shipments, keeping the budget. Because I find it fun, I don’t let myself work on it until my homework and studying are done for the day. I also do my best to take advantage of slower school weeks to get ahead with the business.

What new skills has managing your own business taught you?
They tell you in first year of university that “time management is key,” and it’s true. I learn stronger time management from each activity that makes demands of me, no matter how small. Shakespeare’s Bathtub is an ongoing lesson for me in time management, self­-control and setting priorities.

How has Waterloo helped you with starting and managing Shakespeare’s Bathtub?
I firmly believe that without UW’s motivation, it wouldn’t have even occurred to me turn my desire for safe cosmetics into a business. UW constantly uses buzzwords like “startups” and “innovation.” Feeling like my greater community expected those types of things from me was definitely an underlying inspiration.

What advice would you give to other students looking to start their own business?
Go for it! Take those desires and daydreams seriously. Do your research. Look at your budget for the next couple of years and see what you can invest in a startup of your own. Finally, make it fun! At the end of the day, what’s important is what your business does for the one who sustains it: you.

I'm a fourth year student at the University of Waterloo currently enrolled in the Global Business & Digital Arts program. I have a passion for UX, social media, writing, marketing and networking!