Wellness > Health

Is this… The greatest menstrual cup of all time?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Let’s take it back a few years; I’m standing in a pharmacy in the menstrual product aisle, absentmindedly reaching for yet another box of (overly priced) tampons, when suddenly I see it — the DivaCup. Love at first sight. 

The DivaCup is the “Stereotypical Barbie” of the menstrual cup world; the cup that will automatically come to mind if you ever find yourself in a conversation about menstrual cups (a warning that if you’re conversing with me, there’s an obnoxiously high chance that you will). Once I overcame the learning curve that comes with using these divine devices, the DivaCup and I were doing great! We were saving money, and the days of awkwardly ripping open plastic in bathroom stalls were long behind us. We had no real issues… well, aside from the handful of times that I accidentally broke the golden rule of period-cup ownership and pulled it out before breaking the seal. There is definitely a reason why the instructions for menstrual cups say something along the lines of “pinch the cup, then twist the cup to break the seal, and then pull down to remove the cup” (A.K.A. do not just pull). Well, I did, and yes, ouch. Luckily for my ego, I’m assuming that enough of us have broken this golden rule because the entire design of the cup I’m about to introduce is based upon this notion. A cup that comes with a tab that, when pulled directly down, will break the seal for you — the Flex cup.

The average menstrual cup is typically clear in colour and made of body-safe silicone. It has four small holes around the rim of the cup, which help create a “seal” while inside the body, and a stem at the bottom. The stem is there to provide the user with a grip if they need to lower the cup before pinching it, breaking the seal, and then removing the cup from the body. However, some people (like me) will cut the stem because they find it to fit more comfortably.

The Flex cup is on a whole other level! While it’s still made of soft body-safe silicone, it’s black in colour (it’s aesthetic to say the least), and instead of the traditional stem at the bottom, it has a pull-tab. You just pull down on the tab and voilà — the seal is broken, and the cup is removed in one swift and painless step. Also, if you’re someone who has longer nails, this cup is much easier to remove than the traditionally styled cup.

If any of these directions or descriptions sound a little confusing, you can check FlexCup’s website for a more thorough user guide. All menstrual cup companies have detailed instructions available on their websites that are super easy to follow!

Don’t get me wrong, I do still reach for other cups occasionally, but the FlexCup is the one that I’ve found myself reaching for the most. If you happen to find yourself wanting to give menstrual cups a try in general or are thinking of trying a different brand, I think the FlexCup is worth a shot!  

Hey everyone! I am currently enrolled in the Social Development Studies (SDS) Program here at the University of Waterloo. When not working on assignments, I am definitely with my kids, ingesting obnoxious levels of caffeine and sending voice messages to literally anyone who will listen.