Industry Based Interview Outfits!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Power suits may bring out your inner Olivia Pope, but it’s not always to the best option to wear to a job interview. In a sea of young undergrads looking for summer employment it can be difficult to stand out with a dark blazer and dress pants. Create the best first impression by following these tips on what to wear for a job interview:

Engineering

Types of jobs: Project Manager, Graphics Designer, Research and Development Technician, Technology Analyst, Lab Assistant, Technical Writer, Web Developer… 

There’s a lot of options to pick from depending on the type of company you get called in for. For a start-up company it’s important to dress down your attire. Start-ups are usually run by recent graduates which can make a pant suit look outdated. Opt for a pair of dark denim jeans and a button-up blouse with a structured bag to create an outfit that took effort but still looks refreshing.  Corporate companies however, are more traditional and require blazers and dress pants. Stand out by choosing a navy blue or grey instead of black. A pop of subtle colour inside your blazer can help you stand out as well. Always wear pants when interviewing for manufacturing companies as field work may be required. A pair of nice sunglasses and comfortable yet stylish shoes can bring a sense of pizzazz to your look. Engineers are known solely for their academic and technical abilities, therefore opting for a stylish unconventional look can put you ahead of the crowd!

Environment

Types of jobs: Environmental Assistant, Sustainability Analyst, Community Planner, Project Coordinator…

Introduce a bold statement colour into your outfit when going in for interviews in the environment industry. Jobs such as project coordinator requires significant leadership skills therefore a red blazer can demonstrate a sense of power. It’s important to keep the rest of your outfit neutral when opting for a bold blazer or pants to keep your look from overpowering you. In fact, if you’re more comfortable, colours like these might be more suited if you know you will be outdoors doing field work. Again, skip the skirt if you know you will be on the field. Without the proper attitude, wearing red in a small interview room will take the focus away from what you are saying; a pivotal part in acing an interview. However, light colours such as white and grey are much rather suitable than black or navy blue in the environment industry. In the end it’s an outfit that makes you feel empowered and confident that will help you get your dream job. If yellow isn’t your colour- don’t wear it! 

Math

Types of jobs: Web Developer, Math Tutor, Business Consultant, Statistician, Financial Aid Assistant, Data Analyst, Programmer, C ++ Programmer… 

Technical industries are highly casual. However, it’s better to always overdress for an interview. Although a suit is not necessary in this case, khakis may be a good choice. If you do choose to wear a blazer, roll up the sleeves for a more “effortless” look. In a male dominated industry, taking a notch up from jeans and a t-shirt look can be all you need to stand out from the crowd. Your impressive skills are an accessory on its own so keep jewelry to a minimum.

Science

Types of jobs: Lab Technician, Research and Development Assistant, Climate Data Analyst, Pharmacist, Project Coordinator… 

There’s not many rules when it comes to interviews in the science field. Looking nice is key. Of course it’s always a safe option to go for a business casual look during interviews; especially when you don’t know about the office culture. A nice conservative dress with a fitted blazer or cardigan can be all you need to impress you interviewer. To stand out of the crowd, don’t shy away from colour. If you’re going to be going into a laboratory, then opt for an updo. More often than not you will have to dress in scrubs or lab coats during your time at work, therefore this may be your only chance to let your personality shine through while still keeping it rather traditional. 

Arts

Types of jobs: Tax Associate, English Tutor, Human Resource Assistant, Market Survey Analyst, Communications Coordinator, Business Analyst… 

Creativity is a must for arts students. Therefore ditch the pant suit. Bring in some colour, add in some print and show your ability to think outside the box. Be careful not to look too distracting; you want the interviewer to notice you first- not your clothes. These types of styles are most suited for jobs within the communicative industry; marketing, editorial, public relations, etc. However, if you’ve been called in for jobs within finance, accounting, or banking, or even law, definitely wear a tailored suit. Make sure your makeup is kept to a minimal and your hair looks natural. (Sleek it back if it’s longer than shoulder length) If possible, find out the business culture in order to determine the type of company they are. You wouldn’t wear the same outfit to a bank interview that you would to a magazine company, would you?

There you have it, Warriors! You’re officially ready to ace your next interview. Take risks, stand out, and before you know it, you’ll be waking up to head off to your dream job. Now that you’ve got your outfit ready, it’s time to practice answering those interview questions. Good luck! 

Tasnia is currently a student at the University of Waterloo in the Honours Rhetoric and Professional Writing Coop Program. With an interest in journalism and the communication industry, her passions include reading, writing, and watching commercials on YouTube. Follow her on twitter @tasnia_n! 
I'm a fourth year student at the University of Waterloo currently enrolled in the Global Business & Digital Arts program. I have a passion for UX, social media, writing, marketing and networking!