This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

It’s late 2014, and you’re in the car with your best friends. “Shake It Off” plays on the radio, shortly followed by “Out of the Woods.” Life is great, and your biggest worry is trying to memorize all the lyrics to Taylor Swift’s newest (and best, in my opinion) album.

Wait — it’s actually 2023, and believe it or not, history is repeating itself. You have the chance to listen to “1989” with fresh ears because, yes, you’ve guessed it; Taylor’s version of 1989 is coming out this month!

In addition to listening to 16 amazing songs (except this time, Taylor’s version), we also get five new vault tracks. I don’t know about you, but I think that warrants some celebration. Here are some of my tips for having the best 1989 (Taylor’s version) listening party!

1. Decorate!

1989 is bright and blue, so some blue balloons or streamers would help tie together the vibe! Lights, streamers, and polaroids are a great way to go.

1. Blue themed food and drinks!!

As for food, again, anything blue is perfect; blue jell-o, blue punch, blue cupcakes — you name it! If it’s blue and tastes good, have it!

1. Taylor Bingo

Another super fun idea is making a bingo card with things you think will happen or be on the vault tracks. For example, saying Taylor will mention a cat, or a dress, or red lipstick (some of her go-to’s). Taylor Bingo can be a fun way to help you really listen and enjoy the music, and it’s fun to make with your friends!

1. Listen!

In the hours leading up to October 27th at 12 a.m.,  listen to “1989” (the deluxe version, obviously) and take it all in! Soon, you’ll be hearing a fresh and newly recorded version. Then, at midnight, start listening!! Will you start with the vault tracks or run through the album from top to bottom, starting at track 1? That’s up to you, but I hope you have the best time listening to and reliving the memories that 1989 gives you!

Hey! I'm a third-year honours arts student at the University of Waterloo! I major in English with a Digital Arts Communication minor and a tech writing specialization! Oh, and I also write for HC Waterloo! I'm an avid reader (go Gryffindor), obsessed with friends and gilmore girls, and a plant connoisseur!