Life > Experiences

Hydroponics — The Busy Girl’s Guide to Becoming a #PlantMom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

As a full-time student — between juggling classes, due dates, and basic levels of hygiene — I have limited time to even breathe without scheduling it in, let alone dedicate time to engage in any hobbies. That said, there is just something about having a home full of plants that truly brings such a feeling of peace to my soul (not to mention the lush greenery works wonders at covering up any unsightly clutter situations that can accumulate during exam season). Plant care, however, is one of those hobbies that feels like a full-time job in and of itself. Enter: Hydroponics.

Hydroponics is a way of growing plants using water. Literally just water… I mean, you’d also need a container to hold the water and the plant but you get the picture. All you’ll need to enter the world of hydroponic plant care is:

• a container – preferably a clear one that allows light to reach the roots of the plant
  • something to hold the plant’s stem in place (I have literally used a metal straw and cute hair clips to anchor the plant in place)
  •  a sunny place to keep it
  • a plant of your choice 

And there you have it! The only maintenance that these types of plants require is a water top-up whenever the container’s water levels look a little low or when the plant’s roots are no longer submerged under the water.  

The journey to finding a plant suitable for hydroponic care can be a bit of a learning curve. Just a heads up: when transferring a plant from soil to water, don’t be alarmed if you lose some of the leaves. It’s just a part of the process! Also, the plant will grow “water roots”, which are just roots that are more suited to water. I currently own 23 different types of houseplants, and of those 23, 8 of them reside strictly in water. After lots (and I mean lots) of trial and error, I believe that different types of Syngonium and Philodendron varieties grow the best with this method, although I’ve also had luck with the Monstera Adansonii as well. The Birkin Philodendron and Neon Syngonium are some of my favourite plants in my collection to date!

As the saying goes “Where there is a will, there is a way”, and luckily for all of us who want to add being a #PlantMom to our already overflowing schedules, the “way” in this scenario comes in the form of a super easy hack! Best of luck on your plant care journey!

Hey everyone! I am currently enrolled in the Social Development Studies (SDS) Program here at the University of Waterloo. When not working on assignments, I am definitely with my kids, ingesting obnoxious levels of caffeine and sending voice messages to literally anyone who will listen.