How I Make Time For Myself As A Busy Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

University is challenging, and the transition from high school to university is especially difficult. Where high school structured your days to be the same Monday to Friday with a few hours of homework per night, University operates on a schedule that you largely make yourself. Finding downtime within that is challenging. As I’m now in my third year of university, here are some things I do to make time for myself within my crazy university schedule.

1. Prioritize sleep. 

I love sleep — my bed is one of my happy places. With that, sleep is very important to me. I’ve always found that I do better on tests when I’m well-rested and hit at least a few REM cycles. I’m also generally less cranky (ask anyone who has woken me up from a nap) and more willing to do things that need to get done but I don’t want to do. Sleep lets me reset my body and begin the next day with a fresh mindset. I’m also a huge fan of naps. If I’m tired and it’s 3 p.m., I’m taking a nap so I can continue working at my best. It sets me up for a more productive evening and helps me listen to my body’s needs.

1. Set time limits. 

With sleep, setting limits on my work and breaks also allows me to organize my time and ensure that I’m being the most productive wherever I can, while also honouring my downtime. Because I do some of my best learning in the morning, I tend to wake up and immediately get started on my schoolwork. Therefore, I end up finishing my school day around 8 p.m., leaving me ample time in the evenings to do things I enjoy. I also ensure that I take breaks during the day. If I just finished an assignment, I’ll give myself a little while to scroll on my phone. I think that finding that balance really keeps me motivated and allows me to balance my school and personal time. I’m honouring my hard work and acknowledging that I’m not a machine.

1. Take a walk outside every day. 

When I take breaks while studying, I like to take at least one longer break and go for a walk. The fresh air is good, and I always appreciate a change of scenery. I find that moving more than just from my desk to the bathroom or kitchen is really beneficial for my mental health and for my studies. So often I’ll go for a walk when I’m stumped on an assignment, and the answer or an idea will come to me while I’m out walking. I like to walk with someone else, whether that’s a friend or my mom; the conversation that flows while walking creates a beautiful connection. Connecting with nature and movement is so important for our health and changes up the same routine from week to week, especially if you walk in a park or somewhere off-campus so you aren’t still looking and thinking about school. If you’re looking for places, Waterloo Park is a great place to start, especially because of how close it is to campus.

1. Keep your space clean. 

I know this isn’t really “me time”, but as a clean space lover, it has to happen. I love cleaning and organizing, so taking a few minutes every night before bed to clean my space means that I wake up in the morning ready to tackle my school work, rather than facing the disaster of my room from the day prior. Spending 5-10 minutes each night tidying up my desk and resetting my to-do list prepares me to start my day on the right foot for the next day. Also, blasting my favourite music while doing this really changes the vibe, and I get to have a little concert while I clean. By being prepared for the day I can afford to spend more time in the evening doing something I enjoy because I end the day feeling productive.

1. Read something other than textbooks. 

As a psychology student, I read a lot of textbooks. Some of my classes are literally: read from the textbook and in lectures, the prof will highlight the main points. This is really taxing for me and I find it hard to stick to reading them for hours on end. That’s when I turn to my fiction novels. I like to read these before bed so I don’t fall asleep thinking about the latest psychological disorder or why some people turn out to be serial killers. Not something I’d like to be dreaming about, personally. Reading is very relaxing for me, and I love the option to enter fantasy land and read about the problems of other people’s lives instead of my own for a little while. I also find it less stimulating and helps me fall asleep faster than endlessly scrolling TikTok does.

1. Create and stick to a self-care routine. 

I’m sure this is the one you all were waiting for. Everyone says “just create a self-care routine” and you’ll magically be fine. I know that doesn’t work as effectively as everyone on social media says it does. That being said, I do find that some type of routine does help, especially when you come home from a late-night cram session and all you want is to sleep until next Tuesday. For me, nights like these look like brushing my teeth and putting my pjs on. I’m a big fan of having a routine that is elaborate when I have time and energy yet simple when I don’t. On the nights that I have more energy, I’ll also light a candle and make myself a cup of tea (usually chamomile or mint). I love candles and tea, they make me feel so cozy and peaceful.

While these work for me, they may not work for you, and that’s okay. I do hope that you found something from this article that you can adapt to your own situation to give you more time for you while you study. Remember, everyone is on their own path and no two are going to look the same. Find what works for you and implement it.

Alison Chase

Waterloo '26

Hi! I am in my third year of Psychology, focusing on child development. I love reading, dancing, listening to country music, and travelling.