samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Four Social Psychology Tricks to Help You Ace that Job Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

When people hear I’m a psych major, often the first question they ask is “does that mean you can read my mind?” Unfortunately, no – that’s telepathy, not psychology. But as psych majors, we do learn some pretty cool tips and tricks on how to influence people’s behaviours and attitudes without them being aware of it. Take this video of Shelton training Penny with chocolates, the famous list of 36 questions designed to make strangers fall in love, or this hilarious video showing the power of conformity.

With that said, it’s interview season, so let’s delve into four of these social psychology concepts that might help you impress your interviewer and land that job!

1. Mirror the interviewer’s body language.

Behavioural research has identified a phenomenon referred to as the “chameleon effect”, where people looking to build a stronger relationship with another person will tend to unconsciously mimic their behaviour – whether it’s leaning in when the other person leans in, rubbing their face when the other person rubs theirs or taking an excited tone of voice to match the other person’s. As creepy as it might sound, it’s easy to see this in everyday life – when two friends get together, for instance, they can often be seen acting and sounding alike. This technique is even often used by expert salesmen to build a connection and agreement with clients during the sales process.

The idea behind mirroring is that people feel most comfortable and understood around those they unconsciously feel are like them. By matching another person’s body language, you’re sending an unconscious signal that you’re “just like them,” making it easier to develop trust and rapport.

As much as mirroring has been shown to be a powerful technique for quickly building rapport, researchers also suggest to use common sense and avoid overdoing it. It’s more subtle than flat-out copying their every move, which would risk coming off creepy. “They scratch their nose with left hand, you touch your face with right hand. They cross their legs, you cross legs the opposite way,” explains economics graduate Frederico Zambelli.

2. Match the colour of your outfit to the image you want to send.

Figuring out what to wear to a job interview can be confusing as it is, without having to even think about the effects of the colour of your clothes. But a 2013 CareerBuilder national survey conducted with hiring managers and HR professionals suggests that paying attention to the colour of your clothes could be more important than we think, since it may influence employers’ perspective on our attributes.  

The findings report that 23% of employers recommend blue as the best colour to wear to a job interview. In fact, Lynda Goldman, business communications and etiquette consultant and author, argues that navy blue is the best color, as “it inspires confidence.” Second on the list was black, recommended by 15% of employers. Orange, on the other hand, was rated the worst colour to wear, and was the most likely to be associated with unprofessionalism (no kidding).

Many employers echo what we might intuitively know – that more conservative colours like black, blue, gray and brown conveyed a feeling of professionalism. However, the study also suggests the following colour-attribute links:

·  Black – Leadership

· Blue – Team Player

· Gray – Logical/Analytical

· White – Organized

· Brown – Dependable

· Red – Power

· Green, yellow, orange or purple – Creative

3.  Match your answers to the interviewer’s age.

Research suggests it might be beneficial to tailor your answers to interviewers’ questions a little differently based on their generational age. John Molidor, Ph.D., and Barbara Parus argue that interviewers’ age may influence the type of things they are unconsciously or consciously looking for in an employee. They argue that job seekers should take into consideration the following breakdown:

· Generation Y interviewers (between 20 and 30): Bring along visual samples of your work and highlight your ability to multitask.

· Generation X interviewers (between 30 and 50): Emphasize your creativity and mention how work/life balance contributes to your success.

· Baby Boomer interviewers (between 50 and 70): Show that you work hard and demonstrate respect for what they’ve achieved.

· Silent Generation interviewers (between 70 and 90): Mention your loyalty and commitment to previous jobs.

4.    Warm your hands for a better first impression.

Studies have shown mixed results regarding how quickly it takes to form a first impression. Some research has suggested as little as one-tenth of a second, while other researchers point towards a 7-second window – regardless, it’s clear that you only have less than a minute to really impress an interviewer and make sure they remember you positively.  

A study conducted at Yale University has suggested that touching something warm can make individuals feel and act more warmly towards others. Researchers asked students to hold either a cup of iced or hot coffee while escorted in an elevator to participate in a personality study. In the lab, students received a description of an individual described as “industrious, cautious and determined”, before being asked to rate what they thought the person’s personality traits would be. The study showed that students who had held the hot cup of coffee rated the fictitious person as being more generous, sociable and good-natured than those who had held the cold cup.

“When you get there early, go to the bathroom and warm your hands, either under hot water or under a hand dryer”, Susan Smith suggests. “Dry, warm hands inspire confidence. Cold, clammy hands are a big unconscious turnoff”.

Okay, so there you have it. You should note, though, that although these techniques have been suggested to work, they are not a 100% guarantee, since human behaviour is a lot more complicated than what can often be found and suggested by lab studies. But here’s hoping that it might give you that little bit of an edge over other job-seekers! Good luck!

I enjoy naps, cake and sarcasm. Besides that I'm in Honours Science at the University of Waterloo!