Fashion for Change Events Director: Saudia Rahamat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Meet Saudia Rahamat – the Events Director for this year’s Fashion for Change team, and this week’s Campus Profile!

Tell us about your role with Fashion for Change

Any event we planned, I was in charge of going through the logistical aspects, whether or not the event was feasible as well as how to make the event efficient, prosperous and overall fun. I would book venues, come up with floor plans, estimate expected attendance, buy and set up decorations, order food; the list can go on forever. As the Events Director, I was also in charge of a team of 8 dedicated individuals who volunteered their time and effort to also make my visions come true. I can honestly say that without the team I had this year, the events we hosted would not have flourished the way they did. My team is absolutely amazing and deserves more credit than I do. They rocked it! I now know what the term “proud mother hen” feels like.

What made you want to get involved?

I first heard of Fashion for Change through a friend who just happens to be the Vice President of Fashion for Change this year, Raymond Acebo. I was actually going to apply for the events executive position because it was my first year being part of this great club and generally Directors have been part of the club for at least one other show prior to their term. I am also currently a Student Program Coordinator for our Athletics Department so I had a pretty good idea of how to run events. One night I received a message from Ray asking if I would like to apply for the role of the Events Director. I wasted no time and jumped on the opportunity. He would always talk about the show and all the behind the scene adventures and it really piqued my interest to get even more involved. I’m glad to say that I regret nothing.

What was the planning process like for this big of an event?

Many people don’t know that the planning for show day is a two-term process. The first term focusing more on the organizational term whereas the second term focuses more on implementation. For the fall term, we had to make sure that our teams were set, that everyone was on the same page, getting a feel for a bigger club, being comfortable with one another and slowly but surely getting the ball rolling for the next term when the show will take place. The actual show term is super busy for everyone involved. Models are practicing twice a week on choreography, Sponsorship team is going out getting sponsors, PR and Marketing are advertising our different events, you name it, we had it covered. The Board of Directors (BOD), we would meet every week with updates from our respective teams. We would fill each other in and vote on final decisions that we would later pass down to our teams at our own team meetings. I can’t even start to estimate the total hours we would put into each week in anticipation for show day. Each team brought their best to the table and really inspired everyone to be on their A game. (Photographer for above: Natasha Choo)

What was your favourite part of this experience and what was the most challenging?

My favorite part of this experience would have to be being a model. It never crossed my mind to ever be a model in the show. If I had to describe how I got involved, I would say there was some very subtle blackmail issued upon me by the BOD. And I’m really glad they did! I can’t even accurately describe the feeling and emotions you get by being a model. You are super proud of yourself and your team when you get your choreography down. You’re excited to see all of the other scenes and what they have done. And then on show day you are so pumped up to get on the stage but also super nervous. Just a jumble of feelings! And when the show is over, there is a collective sigh of relief but also a lingering hope that it will never end.

It’s interesting because what was also the most challenging for me was being a model. I am a very shy person. I hide it very well. I’m used to talking to huge crowds of people and being on stage, but when it comes to the one on one aspect, I don’t know how to act. It takes me a while to get comfortable with new people. Added to the fact that we were also a team, the pressure to make sure that I didn’t mess up the choreography made it even harder. The pressure, of course, was self-inflicted. I could see that everyone else was giving their all so I wanted to make sure that I was too. I had an amazing scene and choreographer and they really helped me break out of my shell. My one regret is that I did not try out to be a model sooner. You live and you learn.

Is Event Planning something you see yourself doing in the future?

Yes, I can totally see myself 10 years down the road, planning and organizing events. I started getting an inkling for it from previous job positions I have held. Taking on such a big role with Fashion for Change has really cemented the feeling. I thoroughly enjoy the challenge and feeling of accomplishment I get from planning and executing an event.

What is the main thing that you will take away from this experience?

For me, I guess, the main thing I would take away from this it that I should always push my boundaries. I know it’s such a cliché thing to say but it’s my reality. Whether it be pushing the boundaries of my imagination when it comes to events or my own personal boundaries when it comes to stepping out of my comfort zone and trying new things. Being part of Fashion for Change has really made me realize things I enjoy doing, things that I otherwise would never have experienced if I wasn’t given that subtle push to be more.  I learned something from each and every individual I have encountered through this amazing club and for that I will be eternally grateful.

University of Waterloo Honours French and Business 2019, Her Campus Waterloo Campus Correspondent, Social Media Guru, Tech enthusiast.  Fluent in emoji, HTML and CSS. Avid reader of Refinery 29, Buzzfeed, Mashable & Tech Crunch. Follow on twitter @jena_tweets