Campus Celebrity: Ana Penacho, 2014 President Renison College Council

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Ana Penacho (’17), originally from Brampton, is the President of the Renison College Council (an affiliated University College and Residence of main campus).  Don’t let her bubbly personality fool you, she is one dedicated person, perfect to represent Renison. In addition to Ana’s demanding role as President, this 2nd year Social Development Studies student is also heading up the newly created “Inter College Event Team”.  This team is looking to help collaborate and network with the other colleges.  Read on to find out more about this Campus Celebrity and the new Inter College Event Team…

What do you do as president of the Renison College Council (Renisix)?

As President of Renisix I plan the events for the residence. I like to call myself an Event Coordinator for the residence. I deal with the budget for the year and try to find new and exciting ways to spend it while providing great bonding and fun opportunities for the college.

How long have you been involved in Residence Council?

This is my second year involved in residence activities.  Last year (my first year) I started the term off as a Floor Rep [involving] helping with the events and doing as much as I could. Then in second term I applied to be the Vice President since the VP was leaving for a Co-op. This provided me with the experience needed to be the President. In March, I applied for the President position and was hired.

What one goal would you like to achieve before leaving office?

My main goal I would like to achieve is that the first year students remember their first year for everything that it is. I want them to remember the snack nights and music nights, the formals and the movie nights – everything that makes a first year special. I believe it is my job to provide the environment and atmosphere so those special memories can form. If I can make the year memorable, I would say I achieved my goal.

Tell me a bit about this new Inter College Event Coordinator role you are championing?

The Inter College Event is a new team created to unify the colleges on campus. It is evident that the colleges basically stick to themselves but we want to change that. Alongside the other members of the team, we try to enhance the residence experience by shaping it around friendly competition. I want people to leave the college and be able to talk to other members of the different colleges. I want to spark connections.  That’s why we have so many events that bring us together. We want people to get to know one another and to feel like their college isn’t isolated from the rest. I am championing for a better relationship for the colleges – with some friendly competition along the way.

What advice would you give others that want to join a residence or school council?

If you want to join a residence/student council, my only advice to you is to go for it.  Putting yourself out there is the hardest part but once you get involved you meet so many people with similar interests.  Yes, it is stressful at times but it is all worth it when you step back and see what you were able to create.  A great event that is loved by everyone – to me, that’s my favorite part.  Seeing everyone’s smiling faces – that’s how I know I have done a good job, and you will too.

What do you love most about Renison?

Renison is a home away from home, that’s exactly why I love it here. It isn’t just a school or a residence; it’s a home. It’s a place where you feel comfortable to be yourself, a place where you can leave your room and everyone knows who you are.  You aren’t afraid to say hi to however walk’s by – I know that I am never alone here, everyone’s door is open for the opportunity to speak to one another. Plus, my program is here too, so I have a personal connection with the staff and the faculty of Social Development Studies.

Your proudest moment at UWaterloo so far is:

My proudest moment would have to be my first big event on my own as the Vice President last year.  I brought in Exotic Animals for the residence to enjoy; kangaroos, lemurs, cobras, birds, bunnies, possums – you name it, I brought it.  And everyone loved it.  They couldn’t wrap their heads around the fact that I thought to bring them all these animals to play with. Seeing the smiles, taking the pictures and hearing the laughter filled me with excitement; I was proud of myself for what I had accomplished.

What do you want to do once you graduate?

I want to be a therapist and counsel those in need. I want to understand them and find ways to help them blend back into society, eliminating their harmful tendencies. Also, I want to get my PhD and research the reasons as to why these people do what they do. I want to be able to save the lives of “the lost” and give them some type of hope again.

I'm a fourth year student at the University of Waterloo currently enrolled in the Global Business & Digital Arts program. I have a passion for UX, social media, writing, marketing and networking! 
CC for Her Campus Waterloo