Life > Academics

A letter to university students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

From one student to another, finals season is the bane of every semester. I’m pretty sure that I’m not the only one who specifically checks for the mention of a final exam in the syllabus for each of my courses. As soon as I see one, I am already dreading it, even though it’s months in advance. If there are no finals, there are assignments, and those aren’t any better. 

With how hectic the last few weeks of the semester become, it’s so easy to get overwhelmed and lose track of everything other than your deadlines.

So, to everyone who has final exams:

Be kind to yourself. It’s easy to think that you could have gotten started with revisions earlier or that you don’t have enough time to work on your assignments alongside studying. However, getting started is already a big step, and you’re already working towards your end goal, even if it might not seem like it. 

Make sure to take frequent breaks and to nourish your body properly to keep yourself going — when you’re cramming for exams, having proper food is such an easy way to replenish your energy levels.

Always schedule in some rest time, even when you think you have the weight of the world on your shoulders. From my experience, anticipating the amount of work that has to be done is very stressful. You might feel tempted to tackle everything in one go, but that’s not good for your health in the long run. Setting aside time to rest allows your body to restore its energy, and I often find that waking up from a nap makes me feel invincible when it comes to resuming studying. 

To everyone taking their last final exams — AKA, to everyone graduating just like me: 

This is a confusing feeling, isn’t it? These past few days have been overwhelming at best. I feel conflicted — I’m worried about deadlines but also relieved that this will all be done in a few weeks. The idea of no longer being a student is intimidating, but I also look forward to starting a new path. 

There might be times when it seems like it’s the end of the world: when you don’t get into a graduate program of your choice or when you don’t get a job you wanted. You might find yourself wondering about the purpose of your life. But remember to never give up. Patience and perseverance are key to so many good things. I’m a firm believer in the idea that having a positive attitude will bring positive things your way. Try your best to stay optimistic in the face of adversity, and what’s meant to find you will find you.

Hi there! I'm a psychology student at the University of Waterloo. I love studying, and on the side, I am also a big fan of writing. In my free time, I am either on pinterest or I'm in the kitchen, trying out different recipes.