8 Things You Should Keep with You on St. Patty’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

St. Patrick’s Day will soon be upon us, meaning that Waterloo will soon be flooded with a sea of green. If you’re planning on going out and joining the festivities on Sunday, remember to keep these 8 things with you all day.

1. A Water Bottle

No, not the one that’s full of vodka. I mean an actual water bottle full of actual water. It’s important to stay hydrated, especially if you’re drinking alcohol. You’ll feel so much better on Monday morning if you do!

2. A FULLY CHARGED Cell Phone

Things can get pretty crazy when you’re surrounded by so many people partying at once. If you end up getting separated from your friends or if there’s an emergency, you can’t call anyone with a dead phone. Obviously, you’ll want some extra battery life to take cute pictures with your friends all dressed in green as well. If you have a portable charger, bring that too.

3. I.D.

If you’re drinking, it’s a good idea to have proof on you that you’re doing it legally. You’ll also want I.D. with you if you plan on ordering alcohol at any restaurant or other public places. The last reason is a little dark, but according to an email from Laurier’s Dean of Students, “emergency room doctors were faced with treating patients they could not identify” last year. Don’t be that person (Obviously, your Plan A should be to not drink enough to get yourself into the emergency room in the first place, but be prepared just in case).

4. Something Green.

This really serves no other purpose than to have fun. Wear green just to get into the spirit of things and fully embrace the theme of the day.

5. Your Friends.

Stick with your people throughout the day. With all the craziness that happens on St. Patty’s Day, it’s good to be with someone you trust who has your back.

6. Weather-Appropriate Clothing 

Yes, I know your green tank top and shorts are adorable, but it’s March and this is Canada. Check the weather before you go out and dress accordingly. We might get lucky and have sunny spring-like weather, but if not, your cute St. Patrick’s Day outfit is not worth getting frostbite for. If you don’t have green outerwear, you can always wear a green hair accessory or necklaces over your coat or something.

7. Cash

Keep some green in your wallet too. You’ll want it in case of emergencies, and in case your day drinking results in a midday McDonald’s craving. Just don’t keep too much cash on you and risk losing it.

8. Common Sense and Respect

I’m not trying to sound like your mom, but this is the most important thing to keep with you. It’s easy to get caught up in having a good time, but don’t get carried away. Laws still apply, so don’t do anything illegal. Keep an eye on your drink at all times. Be respectful of property, law enforcement, your fellow students, and everyone else you encounter. Know your limit and pace yourself so you don’t drink too much. Et cetera. You know how you should act, so just remember it.

Stay classy, stay safe and have fun!

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Shauny C

Waterloo '19

Hi there! My name is Caitlyn Gellatly and I am the Campus Correspondent and President for the Waterloo Chapter of Her Campus! I am a Digital Arts Communication and International Studies student in my 4th year. I love to read, write, cook and spend time with friends, family, and sorority sisters!