8 Things that Happen When You and Your Best Friend Have Co-op Jobs in Two Different Cities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

It’s going to happen eventually ladies. I know you and your BFF are inseparable but there will come a term when she will text you to tell you that she just got that amazing job ALL the way in Vancouver or California…or honestly, it could be in the middle of nowhere. Don’t get me wrong, you’ll be super happy and excited for her, but then it’ll hit you that you’ll be separated from her for four whole months. What the heck are you supposed to do without her? Here are a few things that will happen when co-op dramatically separates you and your BFF.

1. The “I Miss You” Texts will become a regular occurrence.

They will come in large amounts at the strangest hours. It’ll be 4pm and you’ll be eating pizza or it’ll be 2am and you’ll be drunk, but you’ll receive about 20 texts telling you how much she misses you at least once a day.

2. You guys will develop a calling/facetime/skype schedule.

“Okay. So I can’t skype Monday at 7, but I can totally call you on my way home from work and we can Skype Tuesday night? Oh! Wait, no just Facetime me now anyways. I miss you.”

3. You’ll assume she was there that one Friday night even though she wasn’t.

You just love her so much that you automatically add her into all of your favourite memories because let’s be real, it would have been more fun with her there anyways.

4. You’ll be forced to become more social.

Now that your BFF is a thousand miles away you slowly realize that you have no other friends because she’s all you have. Don’t worry, this isn’t the end of the world. Making more friends is always a good thing and there are so many ways to meet new people like joining new clubs (*cough* Her Campus *cough*) or hitting up those friends you haven’t seen in ages.

5. You’ll be reminded of her everywhere you go.

And you’ll just have to tell her about how you saw a girl walking by with the same sweater she let you borrow that one time all the way back in first year. It doesn’t matter that you lost it; it was still a milestone in your friendship.

6. You’ll realize that you don’t know how to take care of yourself.

Because let’s be real, she’s always looking out for you and now that she’s gone, you have no idea how to take care of yourself. Who’s going to make sure you don’t drink too much or actually have something other than a frozen pizza for dinner tonight?

7. You have no one you can communicate silently with.

You and your BFF have mastered the art of silent communication so when she leaves, you’re at a loss. This is when you find yourself awkwardly staring at your other friends hoping they’ll understand your silent messages of needing sushi or the fact that a really cute boy just walked by.

8. You realize no one will ever replace her

And you will for sure be reminding her of that on a daily basis. Trust me: she misses you as much as you miss her.

Mihan Davar

Waterloo '19

Mihan is an Arts and Business co-op student majoring in English Literature and Rhetoric. 
I'm a fourth year student at the University of Waterloo currently enrolled in the Global Business & Digital Arts program. I have a passion for UX, social media, writing, marketing and networking!