8 Morning Habits to Start Now for a Successful Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Mornings can be difficult. Especially when you have an 8:00 lecture to go to. It is always tempting just to hit snooze, roll back over, and fall asleep. Unfortunately, as satisfying as that extra little bit of sleep is at that moment, it isn’t going to help you in the long run. So, here are 8 morning habits you should start now that will not only make this semester more successful, but you will become a morning person before you know it.

1. Stop Hitting Snooze. I know it is difficult but the best way to start being more successful is to not hit snooze and to actually get up when your alarm goes off the first time. To guarantee that you actually get up in the morning, you should put your alarm on the other side of the room, so you have to physically get up to turn it off.

2. Wake Up (and Get Up) One Hour Before You Have to Leave. Rather than rolling out of bed 20 minutes before your bus and running around trying to get ready in time, get up an hour before you have to leave. This way, you will have a more relaxed morning and a more calming start to your day.

3. Let to Light Shine In. Sunlight is the best natural alarm. It encourages your mind to wake up and get going. So, open your blinds in the morning and let the sun help wake you up.

4. Start With A Glass of Water. After a good night’s sleep, you are dehydrated. Keep a glass of water next to your bed and drink it as soon as you get up. It will help jump start your morning and give you some energy before your cup of coffee.

5. Eat Breakfast. I know it is cliché but breakfast really is the most important meal of the day. It gives you the necessary nutrients and helps kick-starts your metabolism for the day. If you don’t have time or aren’t really a breakfast person, grab something quick, like a smoothie or muffin.

6. Make Your Bed. Making your bed not only makes your room looking cleaner in less than ten seconds, but it will make you less tempted to get back into bed.

7. Get Moving. Don’t worry. I’m not asking you to go for a run or do a full workout before your first class. Unless you want to, of course. Otherwise, just take five minutes to stretch in the morning. It will give you a boost of energy and has a ton of health benefits.

8. Journal or Meditate. Take ten minutes every morning for you. Do something that makes you feel relaxed and happy. This can be journaling, meditating, reading, or any other calming activity. When you start your day off on a happy, calming note, the rest of the day will be a lot easier than if you start off stressed or unhappy.

How do you start your morning?

Hi there! My name is Caitlyn Gellatly and I am the Campus Correspondent and President for the Waterloo Chapter of Her Campus! I am a Digital Arts Communication and International Studies student in my 4th year. I love to read, write, cook and spend time with friends, family, and sorority sisters!
I enjoy naps, cake and sarcasm. Besides that I'm in Honours Science at the University of Waterloo!