Style

7 Local Cafés to Keep You Cozy This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

As the cold weather settles in, it can be hard to find the motivation to leave the house. I often find myself dreading the heavy clothes, snow-ridden streets and the slight chill that never seems to leave no matter how many layers I’m wearing. 

Don’t get me wrong, all of you winter-lovers out there – I do find the snow pretty at first (and I certainly perk up at an offering of hot apple cider). Still, it is hard to deny that the months of the season seem to drag on forever. Well, fear not! I’ve found a solution!

For those of us who aren’t Jack Frost’s number one fan, local cafés can be a warm and cozy escape, getting us out of the house while simultaneously keeping us socially active and productive in our studies!

I’ve compiled a list of eight of my favourite local cafés in Kitchener-Waterloo, where I love to meet with friends, study, or just spend a peaceful afternoon out of the house, especially in the winter time. 

In no particular order…

1. Balzac’s Coffee Roasters

A great option with incredible ambiance, lots of options for sweet treats, and plenty of tables to sit at and unwind (or study hard), all with a delicious warm beverage by your side!

Found at: 

151 Charles St W,

Kitchener, ON N2G 1J6

Canada

1. Matter of Taste

A quaint hangout located in downtown Kitchener, with a few small tables available to study and enjoy, accompanied by delicious beverages, pastries and gelato!

Found at: 

115 King St W,

Kitchener, ON N2G 1A7

Canada

1. The Yeti Cafe 

A quirky café serving coffee alongside some tasty brunch staples. Not a lot of indoor seating, but they offer some amazing vegan options!

Found at:

14 Eby St N, 

Kitchener, ON N2H 2V6

Canada

1. Stockyards Coffee 

A cool café in a cool building, this spot is certainly Instagram-worthy! Make sure that you head there early though, because their baked goods tend to go quickly!

Found at:

137 Glasgow St, Suite 390, 

Kitchener, ON N2G 4X8

Canada

1. Seven Shores 

A familiar joint for many locals, this café is cooperatively owned and locally sourced for yummy breakfasts, snacks and sandwiches!

Found at:

10 Regina St N, 

Waterloo, ON N2J 2Z7

Canada

1. Princess Café 

A low-key, main-character-esque café offering paninis, soups, beverages, decent indoor seating options, and fun themed-nights!

Found at:

46 King St N, 

Waterloo, ON N2J 2W8

Canada

1. Smile Tiger Coffee Roasters 

A hip and trendy café situated next to Kitchener’s GO Train station. They offer open space and decent seating, so be sure to give it a try next time you’re headed out on a trip!

Found at:

100 Ahrens St W, 

Kitchener, ON N2H 4C3

Canada

I hope these lovely little cafés in K-W can allow you to find a cozy escape this winter season. Catch up with friends, take some time to study, and be sure to enjoy yourself! I’ll see you there soon!

Emma Johnston

Waterloo '22

Hi! My name is Emma, and I am completing my Bachelor of Arts in English Rhetoric, Media and Professional Communication at the University of Waterloo. I love journaling, peanut M&Ms, and collecting fashion magazines from around the world!