This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Spring is on its way, and I don’t know about you, but I am ready for warm weather here in Ontario. I’m excited for my daily walks, bike rides, and the days when I can just sit on my porch and enjoy the nice weather. Here are some things you can do this spring:  

Go on daily walks

Whether you decide to just walk around your neighborhood or explore a new trail, any sort of physical activity is great. Whenever the weather even slightly starts to get better, I head outside for a quick or long walk. Walking is my favourite form of exercise; sometimes I go with family, and other times I go alone. Whatever your preference is, a pleasant spring walk can be refreshing after the winter months.  

Have a picnic

Picnics are my go-to when I feel like doing something but don’t know exactly what. Picnics are amazing as they are extremely versatile. You can have a picnic almost anywhere, with any number of people, doing any kind of activity, and with an array of any type of food. Therefore, it is really easy to get creative with the type of picnic you want to have.

Go bike riding, rollerblading, or skateboarding

Last summer, I spent many days meeting up with friends and riding our bikes around our neighbourhood, as it was not safe enough for us to go on walks together. When biking, we were able to keep our distance while having the breeze blow through our hair. My #1 goal this spring/summer is to learn how to rollerblade. I love riding my bike, but it is time for me to gain another skill, and rollerblading has always seemed very fun.

Watch a sunset, sunrise or even both

Watching a sunset or sunrise is one of my favourite ways to disconnect from the world. I love admiring the scenic views of the beautiful colours blending in with one another. The addition of a waterfront while watching a sunset or sunrise can make your experience even better.

Stargazing

Depending on the amount of light pollution there is where you live, you may need to drive out elsewhere for this activity. If you have never experienced seeing a sky full of stars before, then I’m sorry to say this, but you are missing out. I have fortunately had the opportunity to drive out of the city to a place where there is not much light pollution, and it’s magnificent being able to view the sea of stars in the sky.

Spring cleaning

Are you a hoarder? Well, I certainly am, and I think this spring is the season where I will finally change my ways. Whether you are a hoarder or not, spring cleaning is an awesome way to declutter and donate things that don’t serve a purpose to you anymore. This spring, my main targets are clothes, shoes, and miscellaneous items.

I am student at the University of Waterloo who is passionate about fashion, painting, social justice issues and more.
Hey - I'm Vanessa Geitz, a fourth-year Public Health student at the University of Waterloo. I am currently the President and Campus Correspondent for HC Waterloo and love writing articles! Also a big fan of the Bachelor, BBT, and books.