This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

I really love listening to podcasts while I’m doing just about anything: riding the bus, completing an assignment, working, exercising at the gym, you name it. As much as I enjoy listening to music, I find podcasts much more engaging, especially when I’m completing a particularly monotonous task. I started out only listening to a few of the more popular true crime podcasts, but I’ve ventured into other genres and more niche podcasts now, having been an avid podcast fan for a few years. Here are some of my recommendations!

1. Normal Gossip

This has become my new favourite! If you love gossip, you’ll love this one. The hosts discuss gossip submitted by their listeners, and wow, some of the stories are absolutely insane. It feels like having a gossip session with a group of old friends! This podcast is definitely one I’m going to be binging.

1. Dark Poutine

Dark Poutine is an awesome, Canadian-centric true crime podcast. However, the content is not limited to just true crime. They also tell stories of folklore, dark history, and legends. My dad introduced me to this podcast a few years ago, and I haven’t stopped listening since.

1. Two Hot Takes

In this podcast, the host reads stories from Reddit posts to a guest host, and they discuss them. It’s a pretty simple concept, but the stories that come out of it are wild. The podcast has quite a following on TikTok, and they post frequently, so if you don’t want to commit to listening to an hour-long episode, I recommend watching their TikToks.

1. Your Own Backyard

This one’s for the real true crime podcast enjoyers. Your Own Backyard takes a deep dive into the case of Kristin Smart, a 19-year-old college student who disappears after a night out back in 1996. The host investigates every little detail and follows long-lost leads to dig up any information to help bring Kristin home. Definitely not a light listen, but incredibly informative and thorough.

1. Anything Goes

Alright, this one’s not quite as niche as the others. Everyone knows and loves Emma Chamberlain, but I thought I’d include this one on my list because I really do love it. She talks about a wide range of topics, ranging from really deep to lighthearted and fun content. I take a lot of my beauty and fashion advice from the products she recommends in her podcast.

I hope this list will help you to discover your new favourite podcast, or maybe even convert you to being a podcast person. Happy listening!

Liz Beach

Waterloo '26

Hi, I'm Liz and I'm a third year Geography and Environmental Management student at the University of Waterloo! I love to work out, crochet, and cook, and I am also a huge true crime fanatic.