Career

5 Things You Can Do To Make Your Resume Stand Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

As a fourth-year Waterloo co-op student, I have completed the intense recruitment cycle my fair share of times. Honestly, until a few months ago, I felt like I had tried every possible resume tip and trick to score an opportunity and had little luck. 

I remember in my first recruitment cycle, I submitted 100 applications and received only three interviews. I tried one-page resumes, two-page resumes, colourful/graphically pleasing resumes, and so many other options. You name it, I’ve likely tried it. 

It wasn’t until I got to the second cycle of my final recruiting term, the Fall 2020 term, when I figured out what worked for me. I received a lot more interview opportunities relative to the number of applications I submitted after doing the following five things:   

A black and white two-pager is the way to go

This was actually a tip I got while completing PD1; I always felt the pressure to submit a one-page resume. As an Arts student, I relied on soft skills and experiences to really showcase my competency as a candidate. Two pages gives you enough room to cover all of your work experience, volunteering, and extracurricular experiences, while succinctly conveying your skillset. 

Add a “Summary of Qualifications” section after your name and education

Adding a Summary of Qualifications section allows you to efficiently tailor your resume to each job without having to revamp your entire resume every single time. In this section, include four skills that are common in the industry/position you are applying into. After each skill, include one bullet point — this is your opportunity to tailor your resume to the job. Here you can highlight relevant coursework, projects, research, publications, and experiences. 

Use their lingo

Employers generally use an algorithm to scan resumes since they receive hundreds of them. Ensure you grab as many of the hot words mentioned in the posting. This could very well increase your chances of getting an interview, and it also helps you to stay focused on demonstrating that you have the skills they are looking for.

Follow the “Skill + Action + Result” formula

Oftentimes, we simply summarize the tasks we have completed in our previous experience. Instead, ensure that each bullet point follows the Skill + Action + Result formula. In this way, you can succinctly state the skill, how you demonstrated that skill, and the result it produced. This methodology enhances your persuasive power. 

Ask someone who cares about you to proofread your resume

I now notice that I often undersold myself because I felt uncomfortable emphasizing all of my accomplishments and experiences. A trusted friend, peer, colleague, or family member will point out where you are underselling yourself and where you could highlight some of the amazing qualities that they see in you. Doing this was a big game-changer for me because I knew I possessed all of the skills to achieve the co-op job I was aiming for; I just needed an outsider’s perspective to inspire my persuasive abilities. 

Ultimately, there’s no fool-proof tip or trick that is going to land you interviews. There are so many factors beyond our control. If you are feeling discouraged, unmotivated, and overwhelmed, that’s completely normal. UW has so many helpful resources and workshops via the Centre for Career Action (CCA) that will support you.

Aliyah Khan

Waterloo '22

Hi everyone! My name is Aliyah and I am a Political Science and Business student at the University of Waterloo. I love music, writing, and good food.
Hey - I'm Vanessa Geitz, a fourth-year Public Health student at the University of Waterloo. I am currently the President and Campus Correspondent for HC Waterloo and love writing articles! Also a big fan of the Bachelor, BBT, and books.