The 5 Stages of Grief, According to COVID-19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Everyone remembers the moment they discovered that COVID-19 was announced as a pandemic; the moment their life changed forever. After I discovered that my competitive dance and high school careers would end prematurely, I cried an embarrassing amount of tears and became genuinely mad at life itself. After four years of working tirelessly, my vision of the perfect ending and appreciation that my grade no doubt deserved crumbled before my eyes. Sure, I may just be ranting about a first-world problem and acting dramatic. The truth is though, we all undervalue the tolls the pandemic has placed on our lives, and specifically on our mental health. It’s time we start talking about it.

It was only during my very last Zoom dance class when I realized that what we were all going through can actually be classified as grief. “Grief is about losing something important to you unexpectedly and devastatingly, which takes a toll on your happiness,” my dance teacher said. “You have all lost your teenagehood, your freedom, and for our graduating students, the end to your childhood. You need to take time to grieve these losses.” 

The 5 Stages of Grief, originally developed by psychiatrist Elizabeth Kübler-Ross in 1969, is a model outlining how grief can be divided into five different chronological phases: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and finally, acceptance. This model has been met with worldwide recognition and can be applied to the COVID-19 pandemic. Don’t believe me? Here are the popular 5 Stages of Grief, according to COVID-19.

Denial

Picture this: I’m in Florida at my grandmother’s pool on March Break, watching a bunch of COVID-susceptible elders pretend there isn’t a killer virus on the loose. Not to mention, I sat there believing I’d be back at school again despite how unprecedented the virus was. In hindsight, I probably should have been more focused on rushing home before Canada closed its borders. “It’ll just be a two-week extended March Break,” I remember all my friends (and even my school principal) saying, as we went on to plan our prom and graduation festivities. Little did we know, the effects of the virus would last longer than just a couple of weeks.

Anger

The common thing to do during this stage is scream, “WHYYYY?!?” to the world while considering banging your head against the wall in frustration — and the pandemic is no exception to this rule. Sure, we’ve all accommodated to the situation, but I can remember countless conversations with friends and family where we ranted for hours on end about how mad we were that the pandemic had the nerve to inconvenience us this badly. Was it irrational? Perhaps. But maybe a bit of overreaction helped us overcome this stage.

Bargaining

Begging the universe is not something I do often, but believe me when I tell you I was not the only one trying to bargain to have life maintain its normalcy. “Please don’t close university residences down,” I’d plead. “I’ll wear my mask, I’ll follow government guidelines, and I promise I won’t go to any parties. Just please, don’t take away my dorm.” It may seem a bit odd considering I never believed anyone was listening to me beg embarrassingly, but bargaining is just another step on the road to recovery from such a disaster.

Depression

The second-last step is likely the most difficult to overcome. After you’ve tried denying the problem and are forced to face the truth, the anger you evoked wasn’t satisfying, and your bargains failed to work, the last resort is to give up and just be sad. I feel lucky to have essentially skipped over this stage myself (if my residence closes down, that’ll be a different story), but many of my friends whose universities have outbreaks are facing this stage head-on. “There are days when I just don’t feel like trying or doing anything besides lying in bed because I lack the motivation and general happiness to do so,” a first-year student from a locked-down Ontario university said. Why are we so upset? It’s simple — an important component of the university experience is socialization, and when we face a heavy workload in addition to decreased social contact, it seriously impacts our happiness, making us, yeah, a little depressed. Seeing friends from a distance just doesn’t cut it; we never knew it would be so hard just to get a hug.

Acceptance

If you’ve made it to this stage, congrats: you’re officially at peace with this whole mess, and that’s a hard thing to achieve. It is in this stage when you realize that the best thing to do is to adjust to the roadblocks life throws at you and live one day at a time. If you don’t think you’ll be able to reach the acceptance stage, do not worry; I didn’t think I would, either. But it was only when I pulled myself out of bed and started to appreciate the things I do have, such as my friends, my university, and my family, when I started to feel a bit better. Yes, COVID times are difficult — there’s no doubt about that — but the best way to overcome the rollercoaster of grief is to start being a bit more positive.

Abby is a National Writer for Her Campus and the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Waterloo. As part of the Wellness team, she covers topics related to mental health and relationships, but also frequently writes about digital trends, career advice, current events, and more. In her articles, she loves solving online debates, connecting with experts, and reflecting on her own experiences. She is also passionate about spreading the word about important cultural issues such as climate change and women’s rights; these are topics she frequently discusses in her articles. Abby began producing digital content at BuzzFeed, where she now has over 300 posts and 60 million overall views. Since then, she has also written for various online publications such as Thought Catalog, Collective World, and Unpacked. In addition to writing, Abby is also a UX and content designer; she most frequently spends her days building innovative, creative digital experiences. She has other professional experiences ranging from marketing to graphic design. When she’s not writing, Abby can be found reading the newest Taylor Jenkins Reid book, watching The Office, or eating pizza. She’s also been a dancer since she was four years old, and has most recently become obsessed with taking spin classes.
Hi there! My name is Caitlyn Gellatly and I am the Campus Correspondent and President for the Waterloo Chapter of Her Campus! I am a Digital Arts Communication and International Studies student in my 4th year. I love to read, write, cook and spend time with friends, family, and sorority sisters!